Pleco 3.2.10 Work on Nexus Player...with caveats.

So I got the nexus player and wanted to see if it would work with Pleco. It does install correctly when sideloaded using sideload launcher made by Chainfire. I even put in my registration and downloaded the add-ons correctly. Here are the caveats:

1) Voice input doesn't via the remote. It is apparently only designed to search certain Android TV apps. Voice input software buttons don't trigger the voice input prompt.

2) Keyboard and mouse, either bluetooth, or USB, via OTG cable, work correctly, but it also brings up the Android TV software keyboard, which fills up much of the screen.

3) Camera based OCR can't work as there is no camera on Nexus player. I'll test the image based OCR once I put some images on the Nexus Player. I'll also see if any on my USB based cameras will get detected as usable and report back.

All the other features I hae tested, so far do work though. Flash cards, TTS, (both Mandarin , and cantonese), handwriting via mouse. I haven't tested the clipboard or document reader function, but will soon.
This is on a Nexus Player with the latest firmware, and not rooted.

@Mike Love - I believe with minimal effort, Pleco could be made 100% Android TV compatible, if your desire to do so is there. Then of course you could put it in the ATV playstore for purchase directly by those browsing the store.
I am our course willing to test any beta versions of Pleco, if you add Andorid TV feature support, and need testers.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting, but this one is another potential license issue, just like ARC Welder - "mobile devices" even very broadly defined probably don't include a TV set-top box. So license-wise if we want to support TV we'd have a considerably easier / cheaper time of it if we just send images to a TV instead, via AirPlay / Chromecast / etc, and probably also offer a better experience for (most) users since data would be kept in sync and they'd have their phone handy as a handwriting input / control device.

Interesting, but this one is another potential license issue, just like ARC Welder - "mobile devices" even very broadly defined probably don't include a TV set-top box. So license-wise if we want to support TV we'd have a considerably easier / cheaper time of it if we just send images to a TV instead, via AirPlay / Chromecast / etc, and probably also offer a better experience for (most) users since data would be kept in sync and they'd have their phone handy as a handwriting input / control device.

Chromecast support! Yes please! I have older phones that don't have miracast support, or I would just do that. But I believe chromecast is much more popular than miracast devices anyway.