Palm/Pocket PC Platform Switching Fees Eliminated

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
From today's 2.0 Beta announcement e-mail:

The second announcement is that, effective immediately, we are eliminating all fees to switch between the Palm OS and Pocket PC versions of PlecoDict. This only applies to Palm and Pocket PC and will not necessarily carry over to any other platforms (e.g. desktop computers) we may support in the future. If your only previous Pleco purchase was of our old (2001-2005) Oxford Dict for Palm software, you'll still need to pay the $10 fee for the new Hanwang handwriting recognition engine if you want to use our software's Chinese handwriting input feature on your Pocket PC.

Unfortunately, since we've still had to pay royalties for people switching platforms before now, we're not going to be able to offer refunds to everyone who's ever paid to switch platforms, but we are going to give refunds (and bear the cost of the royalties ourselves) to everyone who's done so in 2007. The refunds should show up on your credit cards within the next few days, unless your card has expired in which case we'll contact you. Let us know if you don't receive your refund within two weeks. One caveat: if you paid to simultaneously switch from the Palm to the Pocket PC edition of PlecoDict and upgrade from the Basic to the Complete bundle, your refund will be for the difference ($20) between the price of that and the price of a regular Basic-to-Complete upgrade.

Our website won't be updated to support these free platform switches until 2.0 comes out, so for now, if you'd like to switch between Palm and Pocket PC just send us an e-mail and we'll be glad to help.

Rick31

举人
Wow, that's great news. I have been on the fence about making the switch from Palm for quite some time. I'm frankly tired of my bulky Cleo and don't like Palm's new products. I will wait for 2.0 to come out in full version, and hopefully that will happen at about the same time the HTC slide comes out :)

yoshi

Hey guys. Just a quick question. On you website at http://plecodict.com/pdpreview.html, it says that "The free upgrade to 2.0 does not include a platform switch; you'll only get a free 2.0 upgrade for the same platform (Palm or Pocket PC) for which you currently own a copy of PlecoDict."

I have a palm T3 but may move to a PPC. Does this mean that if I bought plecodict 1.0 now, and switched to a PPC next year I would be ineligible to receive the free upgrade to version 2.0 on the PPC?

Cheers

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oops, no, that's just a part of the website we didn't remember to update. It's been fixed now, thanks for pointing that out; if you bought 1.0 now and switched to PPC next year you'd certainly be able to switch for free.

James23

I have been on the fence about making the switch from Palm for quite some time. I'm frankly tired of my bulky Cleo and don't like Palm's new products.

cirrus888

秀才
This is fantastic news considering my palm T/X is over 2 years old and I no longer want to carry it around with me all the time. I will buy a WM6 phone just so that I can use your excellent dictionary in the future.

I assume there won't be any chance of a symbian OS version of the Plecodict Ver. 2.0? (I'm a Nokia junkie and I'm considering the N95).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No Symbian version for 2.0 at least. With the N95 specifically, its cool multimedia features notwithstanding I wouldn't want to use any electronic dictionary on a device with no touchscreen and only a numeric keypad - text input would just take too long.