Other file formats for Android Reader?

ausgang

进士
Hi Mike!

I am thinking of switching from iOS to Android, but need the reader file types (PDF ...).

In an old post you wrote that you are waiting for a big market share of kitkat and upwards.

Is the expansion of file compatiblity for Android Reader (PDF ...) still in progress?

Greetings,
Juergen

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes - PDF is waiting on a third-party component but should hopefully be ready fairly soon, for EPUB our new plan is to simply extract plaintext data and show that rather than trying to get native EPUB displaying reliably on a vast array of mutually-incompatible Android fork web browser components.

+1 for Epub on Android. I've previous advocated for it over email. My university has started provided texts in various epub convertible formats, and it would be nice to be able to create flashcards from the texts. I'd pay for this feature! (Not that I'd complain if you made it free)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That one's in the works too, though given that we haven't even been able to get full rich text EPUB to a point we're happy with on iOS (where we have a single consistent browser to target) our tentative plan is to present them with much of the formatting stripped away for the sake of performance and reliability.

@Shi Xiansheng Just wanted to point out as an interim solution you can either (a) convert EPUBs to plain-text files with the free Calibre tool - useful if you have a lot of them or (b) change the .epub extension to .zip, extract the .html files from inside, open them in your browser and copy and paste what shows up to a text file - this way might be faster than installing anything if it's just a occasional small file.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No need to copy and paste in option (b), open it in your browser and share it with Pleco and it should automatically extract the text from it.