Order of new cards?

dylanious

秀才
What order are new flashcards added in? I have a category that is 500 words sorted by frequency. Pleco doesnt seem to add them in order from top to bottom.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you set "order" to "created" instead of "approx created" in Card Selection / Limit New Cards, that should give you the cards in the exact order they were imported.

dylanious

秀才
Its actually labeled "oldest" in card selection amd "created" in organize view. Might want to consolidate the terminology :)

It would seem the problem is in the order the cards were created. I imported a text file with characters seperated by line breaks with the top characters being the most frequent, ie the first i want to learn sooner. This was the order in wich pleco initially displayed the cards in the organize view but when I sort by creation they are out of order.

What would cause pleco to create the cards out of order?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Some of the cards might have already existed from a previous import - best way to avoid that would be to reimport them with "duplicate handling" set to "allow." (to be honest, for pedagogical reasons "fixed" is not something we generally try to encourage - with frequency lists like this we normally suggest that people break up the list into smaller categories (using the easy "split" feature accessible by long pressing on a category name) and add a new one whenever they run out of new cards in their existing ones)

dylanious

秀才
That makes sense, I actually had a mess of uncategorized characters from a previous failed import. Clearing that out should prevent future problems. The split function respects custom sort order so i can still use the cards I already imported. Thanks for your help!

Some of the cards might have already existed from a previous import - best way to avoid that would be to reimport them with "duplicate handling" set to "allow." (to be honest, for pedagogical reasons "fixed" is not something we generally try to encourage - with frequency lists like this we normally suggest that people break up the list into smaller categories (using the easy "split" feature accessible by long pressing on a category name) and add a new one whenever they run out of new cards in their existing ones)

dylanious

秀才
I am thinking of deleting all of my flashcards to try and reimport them with the correct order. Will my scorefile still work or is it linked to the categories the cards were in?

Basically I am working with 3 frequency based lists. I use subtlex-words with a recognition based profile. I want to start using a writing profile (with seperete scorefile) and work through subtlex-characters and then jun da's frequency list.

I'd prefer to just have them imported in the correct order, as constantly manually adding categories sounds a little tedious.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The scorefile would not work in that case, you'd lose all of your scores too.

If you split the lists into reasonably large groups - say 200 cards or so - you wouldn't need to add new categories very often and it'd be pretty obvious when you did (since you wouldn't get any new cards).

Adding a way to add cards in order is something we do plan to add eventually, that one's mostly held up because it's tricky to code (at least in a way that performs well) rather than for pedagogical reasons.