OCR on Droid, Cam orientation

FelBJ

Hi folks, i m wondering what to do with Pleco. I run the beta including the OCR add-on on a M9 and somehow the OCR doesn't seem to work properly.
The cam is awkwardly twisted and has an ankle in it so i am not able to get a clean shot. it looks pretty much like i always hold it in a super weird ankle and the motion doesn't correspondent to anything i do. is this a bug???
Cheers

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
FelBJ said:
Hi folks, i m wondering what to do with Pleco. I run the beta including the OCR add-on on a M9 and somehow the OCR doesn't seem to work properly.
The cam is awkwardly twisted and has an ankle in it so i am not able to get a clean shot. it looks pretty much like i always hold it in a super weird ankle and the motion doesn't correspondent to anything i do. is this a bug???
Cheers

Yes, it sounds like the M9 isn't reporting its camera orientation correctly - we've also seen this on a couple of Huawei smartphones.

Are you running Android 2.3? The quickly-pulled original Beta 3 had an experimental fix for this problem - turned out to make things worse on a lot of devices so we pulled it until we could improve it, but it might help in your case. You can download that version from:

http://www.pleco.com/plecodroid-110910.apk

FelBJ

Hi Mike thanks for the timely reply. poor me to report...it still aint working. looks still twisted and de-ankled.. anyway, can't switch to iPhone cause of one app.
Thanks anyway

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
FelBJ said:
Hi Mike thanks for the timely reply. poor me to report...it still aint working. looks still twisted and de-ankled.. anyway, can't switch to iPhone cause of one app.
Thanks anyway

Well we can certainly keep working on it - can I send you an experimental build to try out in a day or two?

FelBJ

Thanks Mike, yeah would love that since we Meizu users are pretty much nothing thn guinea pigs... still waiting for a rooted OS and proper camera zoom on 2.3 which is based on the outdated 2.3.1
So long...

sl234

Re: OCR on Droid, Block capture

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good Android app to scan a block of chinese characters to a text file. I am interested in tryint the paid version of the bundle ( which I did purchase)

Does SNAPIT work for this? The single OCR character recognition works fantastically with the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi v. 5 ( picked up on wppt fo r about 170 including shipping

thanks to all

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: OCR on Droid, Block capture

sl234 said:
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good Android app to scan a block of chinese characters to a text file. I am interested in tryint the paid version of the bundle ( which I did purchase)

You don't need another app, you can do that in Pleco - use the "Load Still Image" menu command to load your still image, recognize the block of text that you want, then use "Send to reader" to send it to our document reader module from which you can save it as a text file.

XQ9

Hi Mike,having problem with the ocr function. The camera does not focus, sometimes after 5 our 6 times pressing focus, than it does not find a match, sometimes after restarting pleco 2 to 3 times, it
will not recognizing and keeps searching the database. Can I do something about it? Galaxy s2 android 2.3.3, pleco 3b3b, thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
XQ9 said:
Hi Mike,having problem with the ocr function. The camera does not focus, sometimes after 5 our 6 times pressing focus, than it does not find a match, sometimes after restarting pleco 2 to 3 times, it
will not recognizing and keeps searching the database. Can I do something about it? Galaxy s2 android 2.3.3, pleco 3b3b, thanks

Try tapping on the macro button (flower icon) at the top right corner of the screen - does that get it to focus correctly? (we're actually making it on by default in the next beta)

XQ9

I tried all possible combinations with the possible options. Once I get it working, it works very nice, but that is not very often.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
XQ9 said:
I tried all possible combinations with the possible options. Once I get it working, it works very nice, but that is not very often.

Hmm... well we've got a Galaxy S2 on order now (we were waiting for the official US launch so the prices would drop) so hopefully we'll be able to reproduce and fix this very soon - quite a few complaints about OCR problems from Galaxy S2 owners.

sfrrr

状元
Re: galaxy s2: hooray. I've gotten better results on my streak than I've ever gotten on my s2, and that's not saying much at all. I thought that the s2's focus would give me good results, especially since it takes good photos, but, so far, I'm hitting zero in, maybe, 50 at bats. But I'm still working on it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sfrrr said:
Re: galaxy s2: hooray. I've gotten better results on my streak than I've ever gotten on my s2, and that's not saying much at all. I thought that the s2's focus would give me good results, especially since it takes good photos, but, so far, I'm hitting zero in, maybe, 50 at bats. But I'm still working on it.

Have you tried turning on macro yet? It doesn't help for everyone but it does seem to help quite a lot of people.

XQ9

OCR on my galaxy s2 totaly not working anymore, tried all the previous tricks I found in my magical had, hope you find a solution soon for this very handy tool

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
XQ9 said:
OCR on my galaxy s2 totaly not working anymore, tried all the previous tricks I found in my magical had, hope you find a solution soon for this very handy tool

We think we already have in our development builds, we're just trying to finish up a few other things for the next beta because we want it to be as close to finished as possible (since every time we release an improved beta it gets harder and harder to convince people to hurry up and upgrade to the next one).