OCR crosshair mode

LantauMan

进士
Mike, can you explain the principle of how the OCR crosshair mode is meant to be used? I find nothing in the online instruction manual. Is it meant to pinpoint individual characters? I find it neither more nor less responsive/accurate than the rectangle mode, when pointing it at a multi-character word.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
Mike, can you explain the principle of how the OCR crosshair mode is meant to be used? I find nothing in the online instruction manual. Is it meant to pinpoint individual characters? I find it neither more nor less responsive/accurate than the rectangle mode, when pointing it at a multi-character word.

Yeah, the manual is still being updated (along with the website) - timing didn't quite sync up with the app release.

Anyway, it's meant to spare you from needing to resize the box depending on character heights - if you point it at a line of characters, it should automatically detect the boundaries of that line of characters and recognize / look up the word at the center of the line. Didn't really seem like all that important a feature to us, since you can easily handle words of varying lengths by keeping the box wide and then aligning whatever you want to look up with its left edge, but a lot of people were asking for it and it actually feeds into some other improvements we're working on for a year or two from now so we figured it we might as well release it and start getting feedback on it.