OCR Compatibility mode

OngL

I am running the current version of Android version with Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The OCR is pretty poor and I hit 'Compatibility mode'. Since then, my camera is flipped 90 degrees and I can't seems to find my way back to previous 'non-compatible mode'.

I felt lost in the user interface.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OngL said:
I am running the current version of Android version with Samsung Galaxy Note 2. The OCR is pretty poor and I hit 'Compatibility mode'. Since then, my camera is flipped 90 degrees and I can't seems to find my way back to previous 'non-compatible mode'.

That's actually what "compatibility mode" is supposed to do, since on many devices that's the only orientation that works reliably. Anyway, to change things back go into Settings / OCR / Live and set "Camera orientation" to "Default," "Screen orientation" to "Auto" and turn off "Alternate video display."

Regarding the poorness of the OCR in general - what sorts of text have you been trying to recognize? Are you sure it's been in focus? Have you tried OCRing still images (take a picture with your phone's camera, then "share" it from the Gallery app) instead?

OngL said:
I felt lost in the user interface.

Sorry about that - if the instruction manual at http://www.pleco.com/anmanual/ocr.html doesn't help, let me know what you're trying to do and I'll be happy to give you step-by-step instructions.

OngL

Hello,

Thanks for the elaborative answer. My comments:

1) It would be good to provide also another shortcut to 'de-compatible mode' then a series of steps. This compatibility mode and how to reverse it isn't described in the OCR manual

2) I am trying to OCR a children Chinese book with a printed characters, quite a medium size (not tiny or small sized). Focus has been used as well. What I notice is that the OCR when it seems to get it correctly, it kept on changing from recognising correct text (or most of it) to some random within the same second or two. It is quite hard to press pause when the time is right, since trying to reach pause button will cause the phone to move slightly and the recognition will change.

I will try OCR a still text but the live on is really useful.

Lastly, OCR would recognise some characters even though in that area just a empty white space.

PS: I'll try to take picture to illustrate my issue when I have a bit more time.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OngL said:
1) It would be good to provide also another shortcut to 'de-compatible mode' then a series of steps. This compatibility mode and how to reverse it isn't described in the OCR manual

Good idea - honestly we didn't think anybody would tap on that button unless the image was totally screwed up, so perhaps we should find a way of burying it more too.

OngL said:
2) I am trying to OCR a children Chinese book with a printed characters, quite a medium size (not tiny or small sized). Focus has been used as well. What I notice is that the OCR when it seems to get it correctly, it kept on changing from recognising correct text (or most of it) to some random within the same second or two. It is quite hard to press pause when the time is right, since trying to reach pause button will cause the phone to move slightly and the recognition will change.

It should automatically "lock on" to characters in most cases, in which case the color of the box will change to be a bit more yellow and the text will stop updating - is it not doing that for you? Make sure "Enable motion detection" is enabled in Settings / OCR / Live.