Not sure how to best test myself with the flashcards

trisha

秀才
I've had Pleco for a week or 2 now and really like it - I think it is really helping me a lot in many ways. The OCR works much better on some of the silly fonts in children's books than I had expected, so I have been able to work my way through some books much more quickly than I could before. The flashcards are really helping with keeping Chinese words fresher in my mind so that I think to use them more as well it just being a generally faster and more convenient way to learn and review characters/words than my old paper cards.

What I can't figure out how to best do though is setting up the flashcard testing. I imported the NPCR cards and have been trying to work on the ones from books 1-4, since that is all I got through. Most of the words early in the book series I already know very well, and some of the later ones too. And quite a few I have forgotten almost entirely. I didn't study the supplementary words though, so those are mostly new to me.

Anyway, I've been using Spaced Repetition, since that seems like the best way to do it, at least in the long term. Since many of the words I already know very well, I'd prefer to not spend much time on those and spend more time on the ones I don't remember. However, even though I tried setting the number of unlearned cards per day pretty high, it usually just keeps asking me the same cards again and again, most of which I already know well. And when I look through the cards I see that many of them I still have not been tested on yet.

Maybe I'm just not understanding some sort of basic thing about the way Pleco's flashcard thing is set up. There are so many ways to configure it, which is great, but also a bit confusing.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might set it up so that I can go through all the NPCR cards quickly over a few days in a way that Pleco will understand that certain ones I already know very well and stop asking me those so much and instead focus on the ones that I don't know?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier (figured somebody else might chime in but nobody did).

trisha said:
I've had Pleco for a week or 2 now and really like it - I think it is really helping me a lot in many ways. The OCR works much better on some of the silly fonts in children's books than I had expected, so I have been able to work my way through some books much more quickly than I could before. The flashcards are really helping with keeping Chinese words fresher in my mind so that I think to use them more as well it just being a generally faster and more convenient way to learn and review characters/words than my old paper cards.

Thank you!

trisha said:
Anyway, I've been using Spaced Repetition, since that seems like the best way to do it, at least in the long term. Since many of the words I already know very well, I'd prefer to not spend much time on those and spend more time on the ones I don't remember. However, even though I tried setting the number of unlearned cards per day pretty high, it usually just keeps asking me the same cards again and again, most of which I already know well. And when I look through the cards I see that many of them I still have not been tested on yet.

This probably means that the "learned" threshold is set too high; in "Card Selection," configure it so that "card is learned if" "score >='" and "Amount" is "200" - that should mark a card as "learned" as soon as you've answered it correctly once, so that you'll quickly see your pool filled up with new cards.

However, the fact that it keeps testing you on old cards is rather puzzling, since the repetition spacing should result in them appearing at increasingly spread-out intervals - in that same "card selection" screen, is "system" set to "spaced repetition"?