no pinyin for the illustration sentence of a term

feilipu14

I'm definitively lost! :cry:
I just bought the basic version of Pleco: Plecodict
I have some difficulties to take control! I use it on my Palm Tungsten E2.
My English a little rusty does not help me much either. I will have to get back to the English!
I downloaded the instructions for use in English, and I have printed in part.
Even with this help I have trouble.
Thus, I can not change the number (There 11 of them that appear) and the order of icons in the toolbar. However I can replace an icon by another! I still have much troubles with the management of preferences! It’s all the same for translations.
At first, for example (the one given on page 17 of the manual Plecodict) with ai4qing2爱情, romantic love, we have the pinyin of the term but when it deals with the sentence that illustrates the term : 爱情only the Chinese characters: 那是没有爱情的婚姻 appear, without the transcript in pin yin which should be : nà shì méiyǒu àiqíng of hūnyīn ! This sentence is
followed by the translation : That's a loveless marriage and that’s all ! In that case it is not easy to read such a sentence without its transcription in pinyin !
Now, I do not know what I could fiddle around, but when I enter pinyin ai4qing2, only pinyin: àiqíng and the translation: "love (between" appear, highlighted in blue. Underneath, I have a drop-down list with words beginning with "a":爱人,爱惜,爱-曾, and so on. I do not know what action do to ensure that the translation of爱人be developed (with illustrative sentences doubled in pinyin), as in the example given in the manual on page 17!
Many thanks in advance for your help and all my apologize for my bad english !

I post here my message in french :

I'm definitively lost !
Je viens d'acheter la version basique de Pleco : Plecodict
J'ai quelques difficultés à la prendre en main ! :cry: Je l'utilise sur mon Palm Tungsten E2 qui me donne aussi du fil à retordre !
C'est dans ces moments de grande solitude que je mesure à quel point les nouvelles technologies peuvent mettre à rude épreuve notre cerveau d'homo sapiens pas si sapiens que çà. :wink:
Mon anglais un peu rouillé ne m'aide pas beaucoup non plus et mes petits neurones rament pour établir de nouvelles connections. Je vais devoir me remettre à l'anglais !
J'ai téléchargé le mode d'emploi en anglais et je l'ai imprimé en partie.
Même avec cette aide j'ai du mal.
Ainsi, je n'arrive pas à modifier le nombre (j'en ai actuellement 11 qui s'affichent) et l'ordre des icônes de la barre d'outils. Par contre j'arrive à remplacer une icône par une autre ! Je bloque encore pas mal sur la gestion des préférences ! Pour la recherche d'une traduction, je rame, je rame
ramer.gif

Au début, par exemple (celui donné en page 17 du manuel de Plecodict) avec ai4qing2 爱情, amour romantique (?), le pinyin du terme s'affichait mais la phrase d'illustration n'apparaissait qu'en caractères chinois 那是没有爱情的婚姻, sans la transcription en pinyin nà shì méiyǒu àiqíng de hūnyīn !
suivie de sa seule traduction : That's a loveless marriage (ce n'est pas un marriage d'amour) Pas facile de la lire dans ce cas là !
Maintenant, je ne sais pas ce que j'ai pu trafiquer mais lorsque je saisis en pinyin ai4qing2, seuls le pinyin : àiqíng et la traduction : "love (between " apparaissent, surlignés de bleu. En dessous, j'ai une liste déroulante avec des termes commençant par "a" : 爱人,爱惜,爱 - 曾,etc. Je ne sais pas quelle action faire pour faire en sorte que cette traduction de 爱人 soit développée (avec ses phrases d'illustration doublée en pinyin) comme dans l'exemple donné dans le manuel en page 17 !
Un grand merci d'avance pour votre aide ! :mrgreen:

ipsi

状元
The problem is that the example uses the ABC dictionary, while the version you are using has only the Oxford dictionary. The Oxford has no pinyin for any of the example sentences, to the best of my knowledge. This is the same as the printed version of the dictionary, and there is nothing that can be done about that. Sorry.

So yeah. That seems to be your problem - the dictionary you're using is not the same as the one in the manual, and so you will not be able to use that as a particularly good guide. I see where the problem is. You see on your screen something like

爱情[愛-] àiqíng (名) love (between man and women)

right? That's the definition from the Oxford Concise Chinese-English Dictionary, and not the ABC Dictionary. The ABC is used in the examples, not the Oxford. Not sure what to do about that.

You're also right in that you can't change the number of icons in the bar. There are reasons for that, I'm sure. You can change the order by replacing Icon A with B, and then B with A. It's a bit of a pain, but it should achieve what you want.

feilipu14

Thank you very much for your advice. So I bought the dictionary ABC comprehensive English-Chinese dictionary. But when I recorded on my Palm the keyfiles corresponding to this purchase, nothing has happened. I believe this is due to the fact that initially I downloaded the basic version of Pleco, because I thought that would be enough. I opted for automatic installation. Now I hesitate on the procedure. Do I have to first remove the base version before installing the full version? Or do I install the full version directly knowing that I will not be NWP Dictionary English-Pinyin?
Thank you in advance for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Already answered this by e-mail, but for the benefit of anyone else reading, there's no need to reinstall, you just have to add a few missing data files. Here's the not-very-well-advertised link to download an installer for only the ABC+NWP data files on Palm:

http://www.pleco.com/ppabnw.exe

For a manual or Mac installation, just download the Complete-version manual install package and install only the ABC and NWP data files from the Dictionaries folder. On Pocket PC, download/run the Complete-version installer and select only the ABC and NWP items in the first screen.