No Cantonese audio (for sentences) on Android version?

helloguys

秀才
Well, I might replied too fast.

I found the Cantonese for headwords but not for the sentences. How do I get Cantonese for sentences? Thanks!

In the Add-On, I can find "Mandarin Text-to-Speech" module. But I cannot find corresponding ones for Cantonese. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There isn't one on Android yet - it's an iOS system feature for which no Android equivalent currently exists.

helloguys

秀才
Mike, can you explain a little bit more about TTS?

Here's my confusion - I thought you could choose to use "Pleco TTS" or the platform (OS) TTS. Was that not the case?

In iOS version of Pleco, under "Settings > Audio > Sentence Audio", there are Pleco options and Apple options. If TTS can only be provided by platform, why bother introducing a Pleco option?

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've licensed a Mandarin TTS engine but we haven't yet licensed a Cantonese one. So we're able to provide our own TTS for Mandarin, which is why we can support that on Android even in the absence of a system Mandarin TTS engine, but we aren't able to provide our own TTS for Cantonese as the only one we currently have access to is Apple's.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're working on a couple of leads on that front, but there aren't many good ones out there. Ekho is GPL so that makes it impossible for us to use in our closed-source app, and SVOX doesn't seem to have been updated in 2 years and is Android-only.