Multiple Custom Dictionaries

sthubbar

榜眼
Of course thanks for the great product. I use it every day, especially the flashcard feature.

I am following the advice of alljapaneseallthetime.com and antimoon.com and changing my study focus to sentences. I have been entering them as custom dictionary items. I understand this goes beyond the design of Pleco and I have already experienced some glitches.

I'm thinking that creating multiple custom dictionaries can help alleviate the problems. I have already figured out I can rename the "PlecoDict User DB C-E" file and then multiple custom dictionaries will automatically show up in Pleco.

Here are my questions:

1) How do I change the display name of the custom dictionary within Pleco? Even though I rename the filename, in Pleco they all show up as "User C-E"
2) Are there any known issues with having multiple Custom Dictionaries?
3) Are there any known limitation on the size/# of entries in a Custom Dictionary?

Thanks for the awesome product.

ipsi

状元
You'd actually be better off putting them in a text file and using MakePlecoDict to convert them to a custom dict. As far as I'm aware, you can't change the name once it's been set, though if you use MakePlecoDict you can choose a name (but not the icon) there.

sthubbar

榜眼
OK. The problem with using MakePlecodict is that I am adding sentences at a rate of ~10-20 per day, and I study them as they are added. If I use MakePlecodict, I will have many small dictionaries of 10-20 entries, and seeing as my goal is to collect several thousand sentences, I would end up with several hundred small dictionaries.

I have another idea.

With dictionaries that have been created with MakePlecodict, is it possible to add entries to from within Pleco? So this idea is I can create some empty dictionaries (or have one entry) with MakePlecodict and change the dictionary name, and then add entries from within Pleco.

I'll check out this utility.

Thanks.

ipsi

状元
I don't imagine that will work. As far as I'm aware, you can't add entries from within Pleco. :(.

That should be different in 2.0 (I believe).

I'm afraid I can't think of a way to do what you want in 1.0, maybe Mike will have a solution.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There's no way to change the display name of user dictionaries in Pleco 1.0; we really didn't design the software to support multiple user dictionaries, it just happens to do so. Honestly if you're putting that much work into a user dictionary I'd recommend using ipsi's suggestion and putting the entries in a text file instead of storing them directly in Pleco; since the software isn't designed to juggle multiple dictionaries you really ought to have a backup of all of those entries in text format.

The size limit for entries is something very big - I think about 4k or so. The system can support up to 64,000 of them, though once it gets past a few thousand adding new entries starts to get really slow. And as ipsi says it's not possible to edit dictionaries created with MakePlecoDict.

In Pleco 2.0, we're switching to a newer and much more powerful system for storing user dictionary entries which would allow for almost unlimited size / numbers of entries and make adding them a lot faster, and should eventually offer a lot of the sorts of customizations you describe too.