Moon+ Reader, Screen Reader virus?

steveman

Hi

my Android phone (S24) seems to have got a virus. Not sure if this is the right forum -- appreciate any comments. The phone ended up stuck showing a list of my apps in Pleco Screen Reader text. The stuck screen appeared as I tried to uninstall Moon+ Reader, which I use for its dark mode to view pdfs. Feels like my identity info is at risk.

Forgive the narrative here, I wrote it right after it happened to remember details:

I was scanning a Wechat video subtitle using the recording OCR function which didn't recognize the text. Screen Reader didn't work either. So I took a screenshot with the intention to use Samsung Interpreter. I swipe down from top of screen and select to open the image. But Interpreter apparently doesn't work with Moon+ Reader, which I may have set as my default opening app (I don't remember). I open Files, long press the recent image, select "Open With", and MR opens the image without letting me select the app I want to use. I swipe down to bring up the Home button and press it, then repeat the process. Again no option to choose the app with Open With. I look in Settings for the default app, can't find it, then open the image with Samsung Gallery which works with Interpreter. I hit the sideways hamburger button and notice MR also has the image open. I long press the MR icon, select Info (I). The screen displays Pleco Screen Reader -like text: a list of app names corresponding to the icons on the same screen as the MR icon (Messages, Music Player, etc). I go back to the Apps screen, long press the MR icon, select Uninstall, and the text list of my apps appears again, this time with the MR Select/ AddtoHome/ Uninstall window in the foreground. I swipe down and tap < to go back, but it doesn't work. I'm stuck on the same screen. So I Restarted, and I'm not gonna start enter my pin without a factory reset.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
To be honest, from the description this sounds more like a bug than a virus - viruses are pretty rare on modern Android phones, it's not really even possible for an app that you *intentionally* installed to run in the background without your explicit permission.

If you're worried about Pleco Screen Reader accessing text on the screen, as long as its service is turned off in your system Accessibility settings, it has no ability to spy on anything other apps are doing. Even when it is running, a well-designed Android app can make password fields and other sensitive information invisible to screen readers, and many do.