Making it easier to toggle stroke order practice outlines

Duan

秀才
In the Stroke Order pane I like to start watching the animation, then practice with outlines showing, and then turn off outlines. I do those three actions in that order a lot. Like, for most characters I'm learning. The transition from animation to outlined practice is smooth, but to turn outlines off I have to go into settings and then scroll to change the setting, even on iPad. I usually open the settings twice for each character (to turn outlines off, then back on).
It would be nifty to have separate buttons for "practice with outlines" and "practice without outlines". Perhaps three buttons: View, Trace, and Practice.
A simple but welcome change would be to just move the Practice setting to the top of the Stroke Order Settings pane, which has the extra taps but not the scroll. I don't want to change the other settings often.
I like the practice in the Stroke Order pane because it helps me remember the strokes in a new character to learn to recognize it, without having to see how terrible my handwriting has become. With Pleco I can go through the motions to get muscle memory without having to write legible characters (which is a non-goal for me).

Elsewhere, the reader experience on the iPad is so good it makes me giggle. It even works smoothly reading scanned PDFs. I did not expect that.

I find myself doing flash cards more often on the phone (because it is at hand) and using the reader only on iPad. I found how to turn off multiple choice then v4 self-graded flashcards on the phone (where the headword is covered up by the multiple choices).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Having three tabs makes a certain amount of sense, yes - tracing characters is a pretty popular use for the 3.0 stroke order tab (it's why we have the 'lock' button).