Kindle Fire

daodeyao

秀才
Pleco downloads fine onto the Kindle Fire and text files can be sent through email which are then automatically put into "Docs" and can be read as a text. But, if I try to read the text using the Pleco reader it cannot find the text file. Pleco opens a "Documents" page which is different from "Docs" and it doesn't have the text file.
How can I get a text file into the Pleco reader?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daodeyao said:
Pleco downloads fine onto the Kindle Fire and text files can be sent through email which are then automatically put into "Docs" and can be read as a text. But, if I try to read the text using the Pleco reader it cannot find the text file. Pleco opens a "Documents" page which is different from "Docs" and it doesn't have the text file.
How can I get a text file into the Pleco reader?

I'm not sure where those are stored - might be somewhere proprietary that only Amazon's own apps can access. The easiest way to get a file into our reader would probably be to connect your Kindle Fire to your computer via USB - that will let you see the same directories that Pleco does.

daodeyao

秀才
Thanks Mike. That's what I am hoping. Of course, no wire came with Kindle but ordered one from taobao. Will let you know the results (though I assume you have already successfully done this).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daodeyao said:
Thanks Mike. That's what I am hoping. Of course, no wire came with Kindle but ordered one from taobao. Will let you know the results (though I assume you have already successfully done this).

It definitely should - any standard Micro USB cable should work for this, actually, though if you don't have one of those handy then Taobao probably does offer them nice and cheap.

radioman

状元
I just got a Kindle Fire and would be interested to hear if anyone has been successful in accessing the Kindle Store via the fire in China.

I have been doing some testing with regard using my Macbook Pro and Lion doing internet sharing with some mixed results. I will be looking at this some more but if anyone has a configuration that works for them, it would be interesting to hear.

daodeyao

秀才
Success using the wire. Put the text into "Documents" and can use pleco to read it.
What is the largest text the android reader can handle now?
I am in China and my kindle can connect with amazon, no problem.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daodeyao said:
Success using the wire. Put the text into "Documents" and can use pleco to read it.

No hard limit, it doesn't have to keep more than a small chunk of the thing in memory so in theory a 100 MB text file should still scroll smoothly; it'll just take a while each time you load it for Pleco to scan / line-wrap the entire file.

radioman

状元
What is your method for connecting to Amazon? Are you talking about their integrated iTunes-like browse and purchase system or just their website?

daodeyao said:

daodeyao

秀才
So far I have just been connecting to their website since I just got it and am not familiar with other ways of connecting. Once it is registered, you can send files through email but they don't appear in Pleco. To read files in Pleco you have to use the wire as Mike mention above. The cloud works here and syncing also works

daodeyao

秀才
Mike, on my windows phone Pleco shows what percent of the book I have read but it doesn't appear on the Kindle fire. Not too important since I can use the bookmark.

I can't write Chinese on the Fire. At least so far I haven't found an app that I can download onto it so if you know of one please let me know.

Any way to change the fonts?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daodeyao said:
Mike, on my windows phone Pleco shows what percent of the book I have read but it doesn't appear on the Kindle fire. Not too important since I can use the bookmark.

Yeah, the reader is very spartan at the moment - a lot of users seem to prefer it that way, the biggest reader request on iOS is "get rid of the toolbars."

daodeyao said:
I can't write Chinese on the Fire. At least so far I haven't found an app that I can download onto it so if you know of one please let me know.

One of the Chinese IMEs might be available as a direct APK download, though off the top of my head I'm not sure which one.

daodeyao said:
Any way to change the fonts?

Yes - put your custom Chinese font file in /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/fonts/chinese.

daodeyao

秀才
I will just have to wait for the kindle to allow an app that makes it possible to write Chinese. At the moment, it appears that the only way is to "root" the system but I am not adept enough to try. Several people are returning their Kindles for this reason so hoping that Kindle will do something. If they want to sell to Chinese they will have to fix this problem.

I don't have a custom font though I could always download one. Problem is I tried to find the fonts in Pleco but when I tried finding the fonts I couldn't. When I followed the path /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/fonts/chinese it stopped at /files/ and there is no font folder only bmodules, databases and modules folders.

daodeyao

秀才
Now, how to add flashcard files to Kindle Fire.
Here is what My Fire shows when I connect the wire.
com.pleco.chinesesystem--files--databases--Pleco Flashcard Database.pqb
Where and how to import the flashcards?
麻烦你

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daodeyao said:
Now, how to add flashcard files to Kindle Fire.
Here is what My Fire shows when I connect the wire.
com.pleco.chinesesystem--files--databases--Pleco Flashcard Database.pqb
Where and how to import the flashcards?
麻烦你

You can store the flashcard import files on the Kindle Fire's internal SD card - the root directory (/mnt/sdcard) should be fine, or a folder inside of that.