J'aimerais bien...

Pampuk

秀才
Bonjour,

I think it's a little late to the now soon to be available (NSTBA) plecodict, but still, after using previous dictionnary quite a lot, I'd like to give my view on what will be very important to me in coming version :

-I'd like to be able to choose what I want to see when I select a character or a word (in dictionnary or flash card) : pinyin, only the tone (/,\,-,V), big character, definition or definition in one word (to keep the information on the same screen) and maybe the sound if available. it should be possible to select more than one information and those information can appear in a window on top on the current screen (like when you move the arrow on an icon on top of your browser (I use Firefox)).

- In flashcard, I'll be very happy to be able to create Flashcard with complete sentence, as I find sentence a lot more easy and useful to remember than character. In this case, being able to record prononciation (I can ask to chinese's friend and record their voice) will make a lot of sense as it will be possible to make some audio flashcard (nothing on screen, only chinese voice to understant).

- Talking about flashcard, it would be nice if we could select wich information to see (for exemple, starting only with sound, then instead of selecting between ok or not, asking for pinyin, then asking for hanzi, then asking for definition), or starting only with character and asking only for tones before seing pinyin...

I understand that adding sound to the dictionnary now will be quite difficult, but it you can leave some space to include them later in the database, it would be great.

Anyway, keep up the good word, I"m really waiting to see the final product (or the 1st beta !).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually most of these suggestions are pretty close to things we've already got in the works, so it's not too late at all.

On the speech issue, I can only say "wait and see" with a big smile :D - no promises yet, but you might get a pleasant surprise when PlecoDict comes out.

That's an interesting idea about letting the user optionally control which aspects of the flashcard are revealed - useful enough and easy enough to implement that it might actually make it into version 1.0. Allowing you to chain words together in flashcards is not something we're supporting yet, but with the new ability to create dictionary entries on your device you could for example create a dictionary entry consisting of a multiple-word phrase and its translation and then create a flashcard based on that. (of course you could also do that in the old system with the custom flashcard feature, but it's much nicer now)

Pampuk

秀才
Thank you for your answer and your work,

In case of creating a new dictionnary entry with a sentence, can you include a option to generate automatically the pinyin (with a !"/" when there is choice). No need for something very clever, just to save some time while creating the entry.

Maybe the same function could be use to have the prononciation of a sentence cut from another program... I hope I've made my point clear....

Bonne journee a tout le monde.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... certainly possible in theory, but tricky enough that it's too late to even think about it for 1.0. Might be something for a future release though... Thanks.

In 2.0 version will we be able to use sound files ?

I'd like to have sound file learning characters ... it would be usefull ...

Chris

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You won't be able to create your own, but yes, we are planning to add an audio feature in 2.0 which will give you male and female readings for tens of thousands of words.

that would be great!

Like anki soft, do you plan to make flashcards with strokes order ?

Another quite very interesting subject !

I'm learning the 214 radicals ... and having the stroke order and pinyin sound ... in planning ?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, we are working to add a feature that will both show and test you on a card's stroke order.

sfrrr

状元
If I recall correctly, stroke order is included in 2.0, but if I'm wrong, someone will correct me, I'm sure.

Mike and team are working as fast as they can. However, after offering two possible release dates, he's not publishing a time range anymore.

We're all dying to get our hands on 2.0, but right now, we can only drool over what we'll get when we get it.

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, stroke order is on tap to be included in 2.0. And yes, I'm not talking even in the broadest sense about release dates anymore - it'll be done when it's done, and it'll be awesome.