Is there any way to "sync" my iPhone & iPad?

I'm looking for a way... not sure if there is one. (I just got my iPad 2 a few days ago... yay!)

Ideally, I would like my Pleco on both devices to be more or less the same. I want them to have the same settings, the same dictionary preferences/orders, the same vocabulary lists, the same documents in the reader, etc...

Is there any way to get them in-sync (sounds like a boy band...)? It would be cleanest if there were some sort of iTunes solution for this, but I doubt it. I'm afraid you (Mike) are going to suggest some manual file copying that I've never been very effective at with iOS devices...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
YoshiCookie said:
Ideally, I would like my Pleco on both devices to be more or less the same. I want them to have the same settings, the same dictionary preferences/orders, the same vocabulary lists, the same documents in the reader, etc...

Is there any way to get them in-sync (sounds like a boy band...)? It would be cleanest if there were some sort of iTunes solution for this, but I doubt it. I'm afraid you (Mike) are going to suggest some manual file copying that I've never been very effective at with iOS devices...

Yep, that's about all we have at the moment - we've wanted to add sync support for a while now but between OCR, Android, new dictionary licenses, and the number of pressing UI issues we're currently trying to work out solutions to, we haven't found the time yet :)

numble

状元
I say wait until after the iOS 5.0 announcement to start on it. This is a common request across all apps (for gamesaves, as one big example), so they might implement a feature. If it doesn't show up at the iOS 5.0 event, I doubt it will be there for a year or more, so then you can implement a unique Pleco system.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
numble said:
I say wait until after the iOS 5.0 announcement to start on it. This is a common request across all apps (for gamesaves, as one big example), so they might implement a feature. If it doesn't show up at the iOS 5.0 event, I doubt it will be there for a year or more, so then you can implement a unique Pleco system.

Good point, particularly given the swell of rumors concerning a MobileMe expansion - we'd still have to do some work on our end, I'm sure, but if they provide the server infrastructure and leave us only to handle the application-specific coding it would certainly simplify matters.

Of course that won't help much on Android, but Android's open filesystem means that people can probably work out pretty good third-party sync solutions without much help from us (they may not exist yet, but they'll certainly appear with the rise of Android tablets), and I don't really expect cross-platform Android/iOS sync to be popular enough to justify coming up with something especially for that.

Trickyt57

秀才
YoshiCookie said:
I'm looking for a way... not sure if there is one. (I just got my iPad 2 a few days ago... yay!)

This how to use itunes to synchronise flashcards. It may be you can synchronise other settings as well.
Take the device with the latest set of flashcards
Open Pleco, go to flashcards and click "export cards"
Choose "all cards" or "cards in category"
Give the file a name (e.g. todays date)
Click begin export
plug your iPhone inot your pc or mac
click your iphone
click the apps tab
go down to file shareing
choose pleco
click documents folder
choose "save as"
Pick a location you can find on your computer, such as the desktop
Save the folder
disconnect your iphone and plug in your ipad
click ipad and go to the apps tab at the top
scroll down to file sharing
choose pleco
click "add"
locate the documents folder you saved on your desk top
locate the file with todays date
select "choose"
on your ipad open pleco
choose flashcards
click import
choose the file you saved with todays date
look in organise flashcards.
the flash card files on your ipad are now the same as on your iphone.
Any new folders are at the bottom of the list in the organise flashcards section. This will be a different order than on your iphone, but you can re-arrange the order easily-

Please note that your flashcards will now be in some sort of alphabetical order. I can't figure exactly why the order is different.

sych

榜眼
Bump!

I would also love to have this feature. Ever since I got my iPad & installed Pleco on it, I've been wanting a way to read documents on the pad, add new words I come across to my flashcards, and then use my iPhone to study the flashcards (since I carry the iPhone everywhere, but not the iPad). Some sort of over-the-air sync would be ideal.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sych said:
I would also love to have this feature. Ever since I got my iPad & installed Pleco on it, I've been wanting a way to read documents on the pad, add new words I come across to my flashcards, and then use my iPhone to study the flashcards (since I carry the iPhone everywhere, but not the iPad). Some sort of over-the-air sync would be ideal.

Well it seems likely one way or the other - if Apple doesn't do the work for us, we'll find a way to do it ourselves.

singlung

秀才
mikelove said:
sych said:

Well it seems likely one way or the other - if Apple doesn't do the work for us, we'll find a way to do it ourselves.

hopefully soon! :)

koreth

榜眼
This seems to be possible without using iTunes if your iPhone and iPad are on the same wireless network:

• Go to the Flashcards panel in Pleco on your iPhone
  • Tap "Backup Database"
  • Make a note of the filename and tap "Save"
  • Go to the Settings panel
  • Tap "Share Files"
  • Go to the Settings panel on your iPad
  • Tap "Share Files"
  • On the iPhone, tap the name of your iPad, which should appear in the list of devices
  • Tap the name of the backup file
  • Accept the upload on the iPad
  • On the iPad, go to the Flashcards panel
  • Tap "Restore Database"
  • Tap the name of the file you just copied over from the iPhone
  • Read the scary dialogs and tap OK if you agree with them

And presto, you will have your iPhone's flashcards, including all the scores and categories and such, on your iPad. Presumably if you want to sync back in the other direction, you can repeat the same process with the two devices switched.

Vzzzbx

进士
I can confirm this (having discovered it independently just a couple of days ago). It seems to be far easier and more accurate than exporting/importing flashcards.

When I did it I had no access to mobile or wireless networks, so ran it across Bluetooth.