Is it possible to share longer selections directly to the clip reader?

Firstly, thanks for a really super app!

Often when reading something on another app (say a web browser), I want to send a selection to the clip reader, for reading and also making flashcards and new entries. By selecting the text and choosing the "Pleco" entry in the context menu, I can get it to the main dictionary search entry box. This works extremely well for single words/phrases, but is unwieldy for a longer selection.

However, getting it to the clip reader is a bit fiddly. If I copy it from the originating app, the context menu disappears so now I have to open Pleco separately (and the clip reader will detect longer text per the startup settings and autostart). Or I can copy it out of the input field after sharing to Pleco and then manually open the clip reader.

Otherwise I can use the OCR or screen reader which is not as easy as a native text selection.

Is there a more streamlined way to share longer text directly from the share context menu that that I'm missing? Otherwise would it be possible for longer shared text be sent to the clip reader, rather than the main dictionary search? Maybe using the same length heuristic as the startup check?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you tap on "Share" instead of the direct "Pleco" option, you should see the Pleco document reader function listed separately as a share destination - you can pick that to have it bring up the clipboard text.

That "Pleco" option doesn't actually seem to work on most phones nowadays, and we had kind of abandoned it - what brand / model of phone are you using and what version of Android is it running? Did you turn on any sort of special permission to let it appear? If it's become usable on newer phones again, we can certainly look at adding a length check like we do with startup clipboard searches.

Thank you very much for the reply!

It's a Huawei model with EMUI 12.0.0.356 (I'm not actually sure what Android version that means, it's not clearly listed in the About Phone page).

The share menu looks like this, with Pleco at the bottom:

Screenshot_20240204_095149.jpg

I don't think I granted any specific permissions for it. The permissions Pleco has are: camera, storage, plus the "draw over other apps" and screen reader when used.

Thanks for the tip about the share menu. That is nearly as good: I had missed the separate Pleco Reader at the end, but now I've used it, it's been promoted to the first page of the list.