Is it possible to convert chinese book into flashcards?

sangormam

举人
I am curious, (beginner so dont know much yet) is it possible, if i have chinese ebook in txt format, to convert it into flashcards, that program will automatically remove duplicated words and use definitions from dictionary?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, we're not yet confident enough in our text segmentation capabilities to run through an entire document that way. (too many ambiguous ways of breaking down a Chinese sentence into words) Actually I'd say most of the other solutions for this that I've reviewed have fallen short on this front too, though it's certainly something we'd like to support eventually.

sangormam

举人
One more thing - when i have text in clipboard, and later in TEXT READER,
clicking on some characters pleco automatically groups words and display definition.
So, (i do not much about chinese yet) why it is not possible to import text file and add to
flashcards all groups or all characters which are in some dictionary using the same algorithm as
with clicking and popup displaying in text reader and just omit rest not found in dictionary?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Because those groupings aren't reliable enough. The reader works well because it gets a lot of help from the user; people usually tap on the first character of a word, so in an ambiguous case we simply assume that that's what you were doing and show you the word that starts with whatever you tapped on, and if we fail you can see that we got it wrong and can easily correct it. Applying the same algorithm to an entire file without any human input or hand-checking would leave you with a lot of incorrectly extracted words.