Importing words with different readings not working

timseb

进士
Hi,

I'm pretty sure I've done this hundreds of times so I really don't know it's not working now, but when I'm importing words I have always had the same settings. To not allow duplicates, but to prompt when ambigious entries come up, and in that way I've been able to import both di4fang1 and di4fang (地方) for example (see ABC Dictionary). Now however, even when I get prompted and chose the correct entries, when I enter my card collection, only one entry of each word is listed. This is the same for all ambigious entries. I just noticed now when I had exported, and have since then been trying to find out what's wrong, with no luck.

Am I missing something obvious, or has there been an update?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We haven't changed anything about how that works recently, no. But it sounds like this is the normal behavior; we don't separate entries based solely on tone differences in multi-character words - too many dictionaries disagree on those.

Maybe in other cases they were also ambiguous on traditional?

timseb

进士
Maybe in other cases they were also ambiguous on traditional?

That's a good question. I have no way of backchecking but I can certainly imagine that being the case. You mean you do separate entries with single character words? That would explain it as well, since I have mostly been importing characters. Either of those two reasons would probably explain it.

I solved this problem quite simply by allowing duplicates and erasing them in Google Sheets, for anyone finding the thread and wondering the same thing.