Ignore typos in search

One feature I’ve realized it would be really nice to have is the ability to ignore basic typos when typing pinyin into search. Like if I type lsng instead of lang it could know to search for lang because s is next to a, or even more simply: search for l*ng because it knows lsng is not valid pinyin, maybe with a set of options to choose from (lang, leng, long, etc.) I’m not sure about the technical complexity of implementing that though.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - it's not technically complex, but IIRC the last time we looked into it we saw too many ambiguous cases with a) adjacent letters and b) misspellings that were nevertheless correct English words (or prefixes of them) and so would take you to the English tab. Can revisit, though.

Duan

秀才
Could the search language be locked. I usually just go in the same direction for a session. A pinyin tpyo tolerant setting would be useful for clumsy typists like myself.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We actually do have a feature coming that might help on that count, though I don't want to get more specific until it's done. But the adjacent letters would be a problem either way.

I don't know if we'd do this until a later 4.x update, but would it maybe help if we offered a two-tap pinyin keyboard? (tap an initial, tap a final, and so on) This would probably be in place of the Zhuyin keyboard toggle button for people not using Zhuyin.