HTC EVO 3D

Hi, guys. I'm wondering if anyone has has tried the OCR on the evo 3d/shooter? I was going to buy one asap but the reports on The SGII having trouble with the OCR made me tentative. Now I'm stuck between either buying one or waiting for the Nexus Galaxy. But the Galaxy would feel a bit redundant as I'm also planning on buying the samsung 7.7 tab. (It does have ICS though...) So, if the evo 3d's camera works fine with the ocr, I'll go for it. Thanks in advance!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
paraibologo said:
I'm assuming no one has tried it yet. Maybe Mike can shed some light based on the specs alone? http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-evo-3d/#specs

The specs look fine, but it's never just a specs issue, it's also a firmware one - that's why the SGII isn't working (though as soon as our test unit arrives we're hoping to be able to fix that) and same goes for a number of other problem devices like the Huawei Ideos X5. The Nexus Galaxy is likely to use very similar camera firmware to the SGII, so assuming we do manage to get the problems with the SGII resolved it's reasonable to expect that the Nexus will work equally well - we don't own any 2011 HTC models yet (been waiting to see which ones get official ICS support) so it's harder to make predictions on that.

The firmware issues pretty much go away for still image OCR, though - as long as the built-in OS camera app can take a decent picture we should be able to use it - so even if the Evo did have problems with live OCR, you'd probably get a reasonably good OCR experience from the still-image mode while we (hopefully) worked to resolve them.

Thanks, Mike! But live-ocr is a must for me. I'm having classes in chinese about very complicated subjects and I'm still far from fluent. It's one of the several aids pleco could provide me; also it would be more pratical for reading stuff at home. I might as well ask HTC about the firmware, would that help? What should I ask? I was thinking about going for the 4s but the price is prohibitive for an immediate buy, so let's see if the Evo is a good choice.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
justinrp97 said:
paraibologo said:
Thanks, justin! Is that true for the live OCR as well? If that's so, i'll get one asap
I don't see how there would be any problems.

Assuming live OCR works in the demo it should work in the paid version as well - the relevant parts of the code are identical.