How to recover flashcards from iPod Touch backup

What a disaster. My iPod Touch was stolen and with it my flashcards collection that I spent countless hours perfecting. I did some manual backups along the way but it's been many months since the last one. I reckoned iTunes does a full backup anytime I sync anyway so why bother... Now I bought a new iPhone and I want to load my old collection on it but I don't know how to access it in the iTunes backup. Hell, I don't even know how to access the iTunes backup. Apple can make things complicated as much as it can make them simple. Is it even possible? I already activated the device and Pleco that's running on it so it has all the add-ons of my old iPod - but no flashcards. Any help would be appreciated.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wipe your iPod - reset it to factory defaults, via iTunes or the relevant command in the iOS "Settings" app" - then sync it with iTunes again and you should be offered the option to restore from your backup the first time you sync.

Thank you for your answer, Mike. However, I already did that and it only loaded a non-activated version of Pleco app (without any flashcards). Maybe because the old iPod was bought in US, but I bought this iPhone in (mainland) China and it runs Chinese software (no YouTube app, Chinese Google maps...) I don't know... Anyway, it didn't work and now I already did a lot of changes on this new device so I don't wanna try again. If you know any alternative way how to dig out those flashcards I would greatly appreciate it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's possible to recover data from a backup, but it's somewhat challenging since iOS mixes up all of the file names. This page discusses the procedure - the Pleco flashcard database file would be stored in Pleco's document area under .pleco/Databases/Pleco Flashcards.pqb.

watereyes

When I had to upload to a new device everything was saved in iTunes I just needed to make sure my external was connected (because that is where everything was saved). This made it super easy, I am wondering why it isn't the same case for you. If there is some kind of issue I really need to know so that I can add a section about a fix to my next round of email marketing material. Let me know if this is something new we need to work through.

Paul Duke

进士
Posting here because it's sort of relevant. Looks like I need to restore my iPhone because of issues with other programs.

I've backed up the flashcard database and copied it to the desktop. After I restore, if I import flashcards, will it put them in the categories and such I originally had them in? (IE, as opposed to just in one big flashcard category.)

Sorry for dumb question...

thanks,

PD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Paul Duke said:
I've backed up the flashcard database and copied it to the desktop. After I restore, if I import flashcards, will it put them in the categories and such I originally had them in? (IE, as opposed to just in one big flashcard category.)

If you backed up the database file (rather than just dumping the list of flashcards to a text file) then yes, your categories and in fact even your test settings should all restore seamlessly.