How to export when screen broken

I dropped my Palm Tungsten E and the screen broke. My PDA still starts, but I can only see a display on a very small portion of the screen. I am going to replace the PDA with a Windows Mobile-based phone (with a touchscreen). How can I move my flashcards from my old PDA to my new phone?

Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's going to be tough... if you HotSync your Tungsten with your desktop, that should copy the latest version of your flashcard database to your Palm Desktop backup folder (My Computer, C, Program Files, Palm, (your username), Backup), but since the Palm and WM versions of Pleco use different file formats for flashcards, there's still the question of how you get those flashcards exported to a text file so that you can import them on your new WM phone. If you know someone with an extra Palm you can borrow, the best bet would be to install Pleco and that backed-up flashcard database to that other Palm, do the export, then import it onto your Windows Mobile phone. If not, you could also use StyleTap to run the Palm version on your new WM phone for just long enough to export those flashcards, or if you can find an old copy of the Palm OS Emulator you could use that to export them on your PC.

If you've got a lot of rank / repetition-spacing type data you'd like to keep, the best bet would probably be to go with StyleTap and actually just use Pleco through that for a month or two (rather than switching to the WM version) - there's currently no way to preserve that data when moving between platforms, but there will be in Pleco 2.0 as of the next beta release. (which will be out in less than a month, but I imagine you might want to wait for the finished version)