How to export sentences and words?

Gerard

Is there any way to export the sentences and the words related to another word?
For example, from “爱”, the list of words which include this character (爱人,爱情,亲爱的,。。。)and the sentences examples (not only the few ones which are included in the "dict" part, where the definition is given)

Thank you!

Gerard

Gerard

I think my first sentence is not clear, it should be:
"Is there any way to export to a file the sentences and the words related to an specific word?"

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not at the moment, no. Is there something specific you're trying to do with this exported data? (print it out, say?)

Gerard

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, it would be that. The list of compound words, it would be very useful for me to put all the words with e.g."来" in the same list. The sentences, it would be very useful to print them to compare the different Chinese words that e.g. mean "think". Reading everything on my cellphone makes me a little tired.
At least is there a way to put all the "来" words in a flashcard?
Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Understood - no way to do that at the moment but support for printing is something we're looking into.

Gerard

Thank you shun, but I prefer to keep on using the free Pleco app, Wenlin is a paid app. Besides, I don't know if it has the definitions and example sentences that Pleco provides.
Thank you Mike, I think it would be a very useful tool. I guess that I will have to add them one by one from the list of words. And copy manually the sentences...:(

lebendig

I'd be interested in this, just to have an easy way to copy the example sentences somewhere where I can learn them. For now I can just imagine to make screenshots and then typing them in Dimsum or another editor to copy them for example into my Anki flashcards. Something like a copy (into clipboard) function would be really great. Then I could collect only the interesting sentences into a text editor, or into evernote.

Hm, Shun, I would be interested in knowing more about the Wenlin Software. Now I tried Pleco, Chinese Text Analyser, Dimsum, Clavis Sinica - and each of them has nice features, but unfortunately none of them combines all features that I want. One let's me add words to a list directly from a reader, one automatically extracts word lists and highlights unknown words in the text, the next one has a nice popup dictionary on mouse over, and the last one can show me the radicals, roots and related words. I wonder if Wenlin is worth the price. If it combines all my favorite features of the other mentioned programs, it could be possibly worth the price. (But I must say, their website looks really outdated.) I still have the hope that Pleco can do all of that sooner or later. :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well for basic export purposes you can add both the words and the sentences to your flashcard database and export those. (sentences are a recent addition, Settings / Definition Screen / + button for each example) We don't offer a way to automatically group them, but you can aggregate the data pretty efficiently with those + buttons and dump it to a text file once you do.

Shun

状元
Hi lebendig, well, I just meant that with Wenlin, you can copy and paste a frequency-sorted list of words containing a character out of the app. But other than that, Pleco is a more complete solution for the mobile learner.

Yes, example sentences, or definitions, for that matter, are not always exportable. But they certainly can be typed out into a word processor, then imported back into Pleco's flashcards.

lebendig

Thank you for your reply.

@mikelove, I tried it and that seems to be exactly what I need...
Shame on me that I still did not explore the complete configuration settings and many other features in Pleco. Somewhere I read that Pleco flashcards are not meant for learning sentences. But now I wonder if that information was probably outdated because it referred to an older version. I'll just give it a try in the next days.

@Shun, thanks for the clarification. I also believe Pleco would be the best solution for me, maybe I just need to know more about how to use it correctly - at least it promises less back pain and eye strain after my 8-10 hours office job at the desk than sitting at home in front of my computer. I believe in the meanwhile I also discovered the radical for a character in Pleco, and how to find more characters based on this specific radical, as well as compound words with this character. That almost replaces the features that I liked so much in Clavis Sinica. Fortunately I did not yet buy it and only tried the demo version - what held me back was their crappy looking flashcards, review exercises and editor... I think the "Add to flashcard" feature in Pleco is pretty convenient and much better if I get used to the flashcards; and I believe sooner or later it will also replace Anki completely (for Chinese only, not for other purposes). Then I still consider to use Dimsum only for typing longer texts more conveniently on the larger PC keyboard or annotating text if needed, and (maybe) the Chinese Text Analyser for showing me the still unknown words in a text or extracting a complete list.

Next I'll experiment with synchronizing my old Nexus 7 tablet with my phone via backup/restore by using DropSync or FolderSync or saving directly into Google Drive. If the backup contains the flashcard scores that should be perfect.

I am sorry, if a part of this post is a little bit off-topic. :)