Gwoyeu Romatzyh dictionary import problem

peibolun

Hey this is my 1st post!

Apologies if this has been done before (successfully!) but searching the forums I couldn't find anything. I've tried making a Pleco friendly version of the GR CEDICT at this website http://home.iprimus.com.au/richwarm/gr/gr.htm

Unfortunately lines like this:

眺 [tiaw] /gaze afar/

which I convert to:

眺 tiaw /gaze afar/
(眺<tab>tiaw<tab>/gaze afar/)

Come out as:

tianw
/gaze afar/

with an extra "n" inserted just before the w in the Pleco display! No errors are generated, and I'm not sure if this might be happening elsewhere, this is the only spot I've noticed (lucky at all considering there are over 20,000 entries)

For my converting I used emacs at first as it seemed to be handling the Big5 encoding well, but just as a test I also tried using sed and the same problem occurs. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

Cheers

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Pleco automatically tries to convert text in the second column into Pinyin, and sometimes mangles non-Pinyin in the process; the solution to this is to leave the second column blank and put your GR-romanized text in the definition section, so it would be:

眺<tab><tab>[tiaw] /gaze afar/

We are considering a couple of solutions for alternate romanizations (like having a specific character that you can insert at the start of a pinyin section to tell Pleco not to try to convert it), but it's a little hairy because our software relies on having that section contain Pinyin for some test modes (like fill-in-the-blanks); there's a LOT of coding needed to make sure that cards are skipped or otherwise handled differently if they're not using Pinyin.