good enough camera ocr

Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I'm very interested in Pleco for android tablets. I was thinking of buying a fairly cheap device, but am unsure about the cameras on them. I see in the reviews of various android tablets that people seem to think the cameras are not that good. I know I need an autofocus camera for OCR, but will any autofocus camera do? Can anyone tell me which devices have cameras that definitely work with OCR? Would the Acer Iconia 100 7 inch device have a camera that was good enough? Thanks in advance, Quebeckerin

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Quebeckerin said:
Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I'm very interested in Pleco for android tablets. I was thinking of buying a fairly cheap device, but am unsure about the cameras on them. I see in the reviews of various android tablets that people seem to think the cameras are not that good. I know I need an autofocus camera for OCR, but will any autofocus camera do? Can anyone tell me which devices have cameras that definitely work with OCR? Would the Acer Iconia 100 7 inch device have a camera that was good enough? Thanks in advance, Quebeckerin

To be honest, 7-inch tablets really aren't ideal for live OCR - they're heavy and awkward to point properly - so I'd mainly recommend using still-image OCR on the Iconia, i.e., take / import a picture and scroll it around to look up words.

More generally, though, assuming the device doesn't have some sort of firmware / driver-related issue, almost any autofocus camera should be fine, even on a very cheap phone; we've got a low-end LG P500 variant here (Optimus V) that seems to do a perfectly good job of live OCR. Resolution doesn't matter much, we're never using much more than VGA even on devices with monster cameras.