Full sync question

Hello,

Recently I had an unpleasant accident with my iPhone, after which I had to reinstall it from scratch. Fortunately Flashcards are synced to Cloud, so when I reinstalled Pleco, I had my Flashcards back. But user dictionary was lost and all custom settings as well, both Flashcard settings, like score file, etc, and OCR settings.

Is there a way to sync the settings to cloud?
I understand from other threads that USR dictionary cannot be synced for now, correct?

Thanks
Genady

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually, everything ought to be backed up to the cloud automatically as part of the regular full-system iCloud backup - did you restore your new iPhone from your last iCloud backup, or did you set it up as a new iPhone?

If you accidentally set it up as a new iPhone instead of restoring from backup, you could reset it again (Settings / General / Reset / Erase All Content and Settings), set it up again and opt to restore from your last backup this time, though it's possible that that backup might have been overwritten by a new backup made after that reinstall.

Thanks Mike.
I had to set it up as a new phone. My full backup got corrupted somehow, so I couldn't use it.
Usually, for sure, full system backup would restore everything.

So, my question is not about backup but rather about sync.
Just like flashcards are synced, is there a way to sync also settings?

Thanks
Genady

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No - flashcards aren't even synced very reliably, to be honest; I'm glad it worked in your case but I wouldn't recommend relying on it.

Corrupted full system backup - that's odd, never heard of that happening before. Is there any chance that your replacement phone might be running an older version of iOS than the one you backed up from? In that case you'd have to update the OS on your replacement phone first but once you do that it should be usable.

Understood. Thanks Mike.
About the backup, it was, indeed, very unexpected.
It wasn’t about iOS version though. In that case, one gets the message to update it before restore.
No, in this case it started the restore process and after 2+ hours, stopped on some error.
I am going to be more diligent from now on and have more than 1 backup :).