Full screen entry on dictionary page like Windows Mobile?

jcoplin

Am I missing something? Is there no way to use handwriting on the dictionary screen like on the Windows Mobile version? Having to tap in the search bar, write a character, select a character, tap done just to get a single character is *way* too many key taps. It has made this version of Pleco unusable for me and my translation work. If I'm missing something I'd love to hear how to configure it to work properly. As it is, when I working on a document and need to enter a bunch of characters in fairly rapid order, the current screen is just too inefficient. On the Windows version, I would queue up a bunch of characters and by deleting them off one by one, I was able to look up a strong of characters relatively quickly.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Full screen entry on dictionary page like Windows Mobile

Settings / Panels / Handwriting Interface / Background -> "Transparent" should get you the behavior you're looking for.

jcoplin

I don't have transparent as an option. It lists Plain Gray, Blank White, Instructions, 2x2 Grid, 2x2 + Diag, 3x3 Grid only. Also, is there an option that when I select the character it is entered so I don't also have to click "done"?

alanmd

探花

jcoplin said:
I don't have transparent as an option. It lists Plain Gray, Blank White, Instructions, 2x2 Grid, 2x2 + Diag, 3x3 Grid only. Also, is there an option that when I select the character it is entered so I don't also have to click "done"?

It sounds like you are using Pleco on the iPad, not iPhone- is that correct?

If you are using Pleco's HWR addin instead of the built in Handwriting IME, then you don't even need to select the last (or only) character, if the first match is correct. To look up a different character, hit backspace and write the new character.

You don't have to click 'Done' after each character. With Pleco's HWR, write the character, select from the list of matches, and write the next one. If the first character is the best match, clicking on the first character doesn't affect the displayed list, just starts the next character. The only reason for clicking 'Done' is to get a full-screen list.

(edited because I assumed that you were using an iPhone before I checked with my iPad。。。)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

jcoplin said:

Sorry for the slow reply. I didn't realize that you were on an iPad - there's no transparent option on that because you actually don't need to have the handwriting box take up the whole screen; instead, simply turn off the "use full screen" option and the handwriting box will appear in a nice keyboard-sized box at the bottom of the screen, so that you can write in characters in one corner of the screen and instantly see the results - no need to even tap an "ON/OFF" button as on WM. We didn't bother with a transparent option on iPad because we didn't think anybody would want it, given that there's plenty of room to write characters in that smaller box when you're dealing with a 9.7-inch screen.