Flashcards

choisum

秀才
Hi, I am playing with the Flashcards recently and have some feedback:

(1) Buried in the settings there is a an option for stroke order, is this test available in the preview/paid for versions? Some screenshots would be handy.

(2) Save session doesn't seem to be working? I typically get through about half a deck on the way to work (using Simple profile, Save Session is switched on), it's quite frustrating to start all over again each time.

(3) The reverse buttons option doesn't appear to be working yet.

choisum

秀才
A few more thoughts:

(1) Is it possible to save off different test configurations,e.g. Session A is "HSK Level 5" aural test, Session B is "HSK Level 3" writing test.

(2) For the different test configurations, hopefully it can be readily accessible and child-friendly ;)

(3) For the fill-in-blanks, I would like to use it for learning to write, to do this I need a test configuration which look like, "Prompt for characters" AND "Show Characters". Would it be possible to allow this combination?

(4) I have also difficulty reading the Chinese when Characters are chosen as the answers, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change this font size.

btw, if all the features are already supported in the IOS version, I am quite happy to go buy something just to run Pleco :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
choisum said:
(1) Buried in the settings there is a an option for stroke order, is this test available in the preview/paid for versions? Some screenshots would be handy.

Only in the paid version; no Android screenshots yet but see the very similar iPhone one here (taken from the instruction manual here). I should warn you, however, that it's not one of our more elaborate features - it works, but it's a very simple interface, you just tap on the correct strokes in order.

choisum said:
(2) Save session doesn't seem to be working? I typically get through about half a deck on the way to work (using Simple profile, Save Session is switched on), it's quite frustrating to start all over again each time.

Widely-reported one, already fixed for the next beta - thanks.

choisum said:
(3) The reverse buttons option doesn't appear to be working yet.

Quite right - we've now fixed that for the next beta, thanks.

choisum said:
(1) Is it possible to save off different test configurations,e.g. Session A is "HSK Level 5" aural test, Session B is "HSK Level 3" writing test.

Yes - create a new "Profile" for each of those by tapping on "Manage Profiles" in the main "Flashcard Testing" screen.

choisum said:
(2) For the different test configurations, hopefully it can be readily accessible and child-friendly

About as much as we can make it, yes :)

choisum said:
(3) For the fill-in-blanks, I would like to use it for learning to write, to do this I need a test configuration which look like, "Prompt for characters" AND "Show Characters". Would it be possible to allow this combination?

In ~3 years of offering that kind of test I believe you're the first person to request this... so you want it to show you the character and then ask you to write it? This would probably be better if we tied it to stroke order somehow, rather than using the less stroke-sensitive handwriting recognizer we employ for those tests now.

choisum said:
(4) I have also difficulty reading the Chinese when Characters are chosen as the answers, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change this font size.

In which screen? For multiple-choice this is kind of tricky to fix without filling up the whole screen or requiring you to scroll through the list (perhaps we should go for the latter option), for fill-in-the-blanks we've made them a bit bigger in the new beta but if it's still problematic let me know and we'll see what we can do.

choisum

秀才
mikelove said:
choisum said:

Yes - create a new "Profile" for each of those by tapping on "Manage Profiles" in the main "Flashcard Testing" screen.

Works nicely,thanks. I missed it originally I misunderstood the intention behind Simple, Repitition etc..

mikelove said:
choisum said:

In ~3 years of offering that kind of test I believe you're the first person to request this... so you want it to show you the character and then ask you to write it? This would probably be better if we tied it to stroke order somehow, rather than using the less stroke-sensitive handwriting recognizer we employ for those tests now.
Personally, I'm not strict about stroke order, so the recognizer would be fine. Having the option might be the way to go. (If I may) an early beta with the recognizer would be good :)

mikelove said:
choisum said:

In which screen? For multiple-choice this is kind of tricky to fix without filling up the whole screen or requiring you to scroll through the list (perhaps we should go for the latter option), for fill-in-the-blanks we've made them a bit bigger in the new beta but if it's still problematic let me know and we'll see what we can do.

It's the multiple choice screen, the characters take up about half the height available in the buttons. A scrolling list with custom font size would solve it.

I haven't installed the new beta, yet, so I don't know if this has been changed already. When I review flashcards I mostly ask for characters. Now when I don't know one I almost always switch into Sketch mode to draw it. It would be nice if there was another button for removing the whole character instead of the last stroke. If it's a 2+ syllable word it just isn't that practical to remove all the strokes in order to draw the 2nd character. Thanks, Michael.

-edit- I see it has been fixed with the double tap. :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
choisum said:
Personally, I'm not strict about stroke order, so the recognizer would be fine. Having the option might be the way to go. (If I may) an early beta with the recognizer would be good :)

It's a bit too large of a change to consider for the initial release at this point, so we probably won't get to it until the next major round of feature updates on Android. (once we've gotten the initial release and a couple of bug-fix updates out)

choisum said:
t's the multiple choice screen, the characters take up about half the height available in the buttons. A scrolling list with custom font size would solve it.

Ah, yes, good point - that one we may be able to do since it's really almost in the category of "bug" for a lot of people.