Flashcard preview screenshots posted

kevinoc

I wonder if there will be a way of controlling a flashcard session using the PDA's buttons. I didn't notice a configuration menu for such feature... do you expect this to be in the beta release?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh yes - the configuration screen for that isn't quite done yet but it's definitely in the list of things we're polishing off for the beta release.

A

Anonymous

My input

My quibble: The screenshot of the test/review screen looks too cluttered.

I use the flashcard to supplement coursebooks. And I wouldn't want to digest all the definitions and optional pronunciations for every word. Just whatever is relevant for whatever lesson I'm on.

I hope your text import can accommodate the following:

Cards with at least 3 fields below.

Chinese:

Pinyin:

Definition:

(maybe) Example/Comment:

Buttons for SHOW, RIGHT, WRONG (or whatever icons to denote same)

Hide/Show option for the above fields in any combination.

Basically these are the conventions used by Anki, andante.org's flashcards, KingHanzi, etc.

Being able to use Windows IME to input new flashcards would allow real flexibility.

If these are already in store for your flashcards, then... THANKS. But if not, please consider these as a suggestion.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There's actually an "expand control palette" option (see the Test Settings screen) which opens things up a bit, so you can un-clutter the screen at the expense of a little definition space. (we figured a lot of people would end up using hardware buttons and so would prefer an unobtrusive "status bar" type display on the bottom)

Text import will indeed accommodate chinese/pinyin/definition fields - it won't work with comments yet, unfortunately (you'd have to include those in the definition) but we are planning on adding a separate "comments" field in a future release. (which will also work with built-in dictionaries)

And you can tap-hold on the "reveal" button to select particular fields to show/hide.

Rustic

秀才
Wow! Looks pretty good to me!

I'm just glad its finally here - I've been visiting your website every week or so the last 9 months in anticipation of its release!

I just hope the transfer method between Oxford EC flashcards and PlecoDict flashcards is simple.

A

Anonymous

Looks great. I've also been checking back weekly (sometimes muiltiple times) in anticipation of this upcoming release.

I am using the current version and really enjoying it....well, except for the occasional need to reset the system

Lonnie

mai

秀才
Hi Mike,

what about the blank area at the bottom of the main/test screen. Will it be useable for writing characters (Anki-like)? I think this is an essential feature for a flashcard tool.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh yes, that's precisely what it's for. (it can optionally be turned off if you prefer to have the extra definition space)

gandq

探花
dear mike,

first of all: it looks great! i can't wait to put my hands on it.

question: i have a clie nx73 with a big display, so i wonder how you will use the additional space on such devices? i would suggest flexible space, that adapts to the space needed for chinese and definition so that the need for scrolling can be minimized. a larger sketchpad would also be an option.

i am also wondering about the integration of the custom flashcards into the dictionary. how can they be accessed (dictionary like)? will it be possible to find a term by searching for some part of its definition as well or just by searching chinese or pinyin? (i don't enter pinyin for characters i already know in my anki vocabulary - that might turn out as a bad idea when i finally will be able to import it to plecodict and use it as a custom dictionary)

i also think i understand the flags now. basically the categories in anki. but how to add flags to imported vocabulary? will there be some option to automatically add flags to cards?

idea: a field on each card where you can enter a certain code for the flag, like CY for chengyu, and the program would automatically tag that card with a certain flag. the menu option would be like: 'add flag Xxxxxxxx to all cards containing X in the flag field'. i know that's a bit complicated, though.

anyway, the features already there are great and i am looking very much foreward to the release!

keep it going,

cheers,

jo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The space is flexible, as you describe - there's no option for a larger sketchpad at the moment, but the definition area grows to occupy whatever space isn't being taken up by other stuff.

The custom flashcards are stored in a separate, custom dictionary database - enabling people to add entries to the ABC would have made it significantly bigger/slower, but you can switch to the custom dictionary just like any other database, and of course if a word you're searching for isn't in the ABC and/or Oxford PlecoDict will look for it in the custom dictionary. Incidentally, it should be able to work quite happily on lists with no Pinyin - it won't add the Pinyin for you, but there's no technical reason why an entry can't be Pinyin-only or characters-only.

There are some limited options for automatically adding flags - you can designate each flag as being enabled or disabled by default (so for example before Chinese class you could go in and enable the "learned in class" flag) and you can clear or set a flag for all current flashcards. I think there may also be an option for setting/clearing a flag on all cards in a particular list. I don't know if we'll have time to add a flag field to text import, but that's an interesting idea for the future.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Henry

进士
beaming flashcard lists

Sorry if this has been covered before, but will there be a way to beam flashcard lists to another palm?

With Oxford Dict. it seems that the only way is to send the entire "Oxford Flashcard DB" using another program then replace the whole file on the receiving pda . . . is there a better way?

Thanks, Henry

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's in the works, but it's somewhat buggy and it might not make it into the beta (or 1.0) - at a minimum, though, you should at least be able to export multiple flashcard lists to a text file, beam those to somebody else (using a 3rd-party program like Filez), and then import them into PlecoDict on that Palm.

Actually there is a way to exchange individual lists in Oxford - you can use the Import and Export buttons there to spin off individual flashcard lists into separate data files, which can then be beamed, e-mailed, etc and re-imported on another PDA.