flashcard formatting

ckatt

状元
dose any one know how i can keep the formatting in my flash cards when i import them. i exported a custom list to edit more easily in excel but when i bring it back to pleco all the formatting that was there befor is gone. all the the information in the definition fiels in on one line. how do i keep the paragraph breaks?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
dose any one know how i can keep the formatting in my flash cards when i import them. i exported a custom list to edit more easily in excel but when i bring it back to pleco all the formatting that was there befor is gone. all the the information in the definition fiels in on one line. how do i keep the paragraph breaks?

Sorry I didn't see this before.

Anyway, when you export cards we automatically strip out all formatting codes, basically because we want them to also be usable in other apps - the formatting codes might help with Pleco but they'll come off as confusing gibberish everywhere else. And we strip out paragraph breaks to preserve Pleco's one-entry-per-line file format.

We could consider adding an option to preserve them, though - honestly I think you're the first person to bring this up, generally when people export formatted flashcards they're not planning to bring them back into Pleco.

ckatt

状元
mikelove said:
Sorry I didn't see this before.

Anyway, when you export cards we automatically strip out all formatting codes, basically because we want them to also be usable in other apps - the formatting codes might help with Pleco but they'll come off as confusing gibberish everywhere else. And we strip out paragraph breaks to preserve Pleco's one-entry-per-line file format.

We could consider adding an option to preserve them, though - honestly I think you're the first person to bring this up, generally when people export formatted flashcards they're not planning to bring them back into Pleco.

I don't think its really a big deal, I was just wondering if i was doing something wrong. if i couple the flash card list with a custom dict its not a problem, and with all the custom cards that I have in this case a custom dict makes more sense. :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sobriaebritas said:
What I do (in Word) to keep the paragraph breaks is to replace them with the Unicode character EAB1 before importing a text file to create a user dictionary. I am not sure whether that would be of any use for flashcards.

It should, but it's a thoroughly hack-y thing that might break in a future release, which is why we don't include those codes in exported cards - you can do it but I'd recommend keeping the original files around so you can find-and-replace those EAB1s with whatever we replace them with.