flashcard and user dict - Database backup needs

daniel123

榜眼
I stopped using a Pleco user dictionary after moving from Pleco 1.03 to 2.x in 2008 because I found it inconvenient to handle one entry at two different places inside Pleco (for example if I want to change something). But I recently noticed that in the meantime changes to the database could be done either on the user dict side or on the flascard side and both changes affect the same entry. This is nearly as in pleco 1.03 where I often used user my dictionary. Maybe possible since a long time but I did not know.

Anayway, I recently risked to make a big change to my flashcard database and changed most of my 5000 flashcards from custom cards (that are stored and defined inside my flashcard database (in German language)) to user dictionary entries. This created a new user dictionary. And I am very happy with it.

I have now a question on backup needs:

Before this change I just backed up my flashcard database. Normally if there went something wrong it was enough just to recover this flashcard database (sometimes needed during the last years). Backup size of this database was about 2.77 MB.

I now think I have to backup both: the flashcard database and the user dictionary. And in worst case I have to recover both, right?

But I now wonder about the size of those two backup files (flashcard database and user dict): They are nearly about the same size (about 2.77 MB). This seems that the definitions of the entries are still stored in both databases though they just link from flashcard to user dict? Sounds strange to me.

But it come stranger: After looking to the iTunes backup file of my iPhone (I wanted to see if the normal backup that would be done during sync also saves the user dictionary file) I saw that the user dict inside this is much smaller. About KB instead of MB. This is not the same file I get after a single user dictionary backup.

So I have two main questions:

1) To recover a clean state after unwanted changes or problems - is it enough (recommended) to restore user dict AND flashcard database? Is the recovery order of those two important?

2) Is it possible to restore a user dictionary from a normal iTunes backup (I don't mean the tools to access the dict inside this backup but if this smaller user dict file nevertheless contains all the needed information)?

THX for your help.

Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daniel123 said:
I now think I have to backup both: the flashcard database and the user dictionary. And in worst case I have to recover both, right?

Yes; the user dictionary would work fine independently of flashcards, but if some of your flashcards link to user dictionary entries then you're going to need to back up your user dictionary along with your flashcards in order to have a complete backup.

daniel123 said:
But it come stranger: After looking to the iTunes backup file of my iPhone (I wanted to see if the normal backup that would be done during sync also saves the user dictionary file) I saw that the user dict inside this is much smaller. About KB instead of MB. This is not the same file I get after a single user dictionary backup.

How exactly are you looking at that backup? What's the file name and what program are you using to look at it? It's possible that the backup might be outdated and only have an older version of the user dictionary database, but otherwise the database should be backed up - it's stored in the exact same place as your flashcard database.

daniel123 said:
1) To recover a clean state after unwanted changes or problems - is it enough (recommended) to restore user dict AND flashcard database? Is the recovery order of those two important?

Yes to the first part, and no to the second - any changes you made would be in one of those two databases, so restoring them would clean up after any unwanted changes, and the recovery order doesn't matter at all.

daniel123 said:
2) Is it possible to restore a user dictionary from a normal iTunes backup (I don't mean the tools to access the dict inside this backup but if this smaller user dict file nevertheless contains all the needed information)?

Yes, an iTunes backup would include your flashcard and user dictionary databases, so if you restore a copy of Pleco from an iTunes backup, all of the information in the databases should be preserved.

daniel123

榜眼
Thanx to your answer. Seems like this it could be handled quite smooth.

mikelove said:
How exactly are you looking at that backup? What's the file name and what program are you using to look at it? It's possible that the backup might be outdated and only have an older version of the user dictionary database, but otherwise the database should be backed up - it's stored in the exact same place as your flashcard database.

You are right. I use the iPhone Backup Extractor (on Mac). I did it again and now everything is looking fine. So maybe I really looked at the wrong backup last time.

Daniel