Flashcard - “sort by category”

psucom

举人
Suppose I import the following simple flashcard dataset:

//test/set1

//test/set2

//test/set3
….

Each subcategory of set only has a few characters/words as shown.

Now I would like to study all subcategories within the test category in a single session but reviewing all words in one subcategory at a time.

The sort order by category within the simple setup seems like that may do the trick but it doesn’t.

Is this possible without starting a new test session each time for the different subcategories?

I’m using 4.0 beta.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
"Sort by category" actually should do it - did you make sure to select only these categories (not, say, the generic "Imports" ones) under basic settings?

psucom

举人
Thank you for the prompt reply.

The simple test example did indeed worked as expected so I looked more closely at my prior examples. I started everything afresh with all other card categories and test profiles deleted and was still having the issue. But I messed with the import setting which resolved the issue. Changing the import file setting to "Pleco (no pinyin)" seemed to be what resolved the ordering issue. It turns out I wanted to include pinyin with the import, so I modified my flashcard file to include pinyin and imported the file as a Pleco file (with pinyin, but no definition) and the ordering still works.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Great!

Hmm... do you happen to have a database backup from before this fix? Or any more details you can offer on reconstructing the problem?

psucom

举人
Now I'm not able to reproduce the problem, so now I'm not sure which setting might have resolved the issue. If I'm able to consistently reproduce the issue again, I'll be sure to provide the details and files.