Flash Cards by number of Strokes

blamb

Is there a large set of flashcards available (commonly used characters) that are sorted by number of strokes?

Thanks

Shun

状元
Hi blamb,

I downloaded a CSV file of 10,000 Chinese characters with stroke counts from here:

I manipulated it using Apple's Numbers app and converted the pinyin accents to numbers using Wenlin for easy importing into Pleco.

You can import the text file into Pleco. Make sure to enable "Fill in missing fields", "Prefer Dicts" and select the dictionary of your choice for the translations. If you use the Pleco 4.0 beta, I suggest you use the "Pleco" input format.

I also included a PDF file with the whole ordered list. (It's a ZIP file split into three pieces of less than 2 MB each. Suffixes from ".001" to ".003" may need to be appended.)

@mikelove Would it be possible for you, as previously announced, to set the file size limit back to 10 MB or even higher? :) Many thanks!

Enjoy,

Shun

Attachments

• Hanzi ordered by stroke count - without stroke count.txt
    87.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Hanzi ordered by stroke count 001.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • Hanzi ordered by stroke count 002.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • Hanzi ordered by stroke count 003.zip
    652.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

blamb

Hi blamb,

I downloaded a CSV file of 10,000 Chinese characters with stroke counts from here:

I manipulated it using Apple's Numbers app and converted the pinyin accents to numbers using Wenlin for easy importing into Pleco.

You can import the text file into Pleco. Make sure to enable "Fill in missing fields", "Prefer Dicts" and select the dictionary of your choice for the translations. If you use the Pleco 4.0 beta, I suggest you use the "Pleco" input format.

I also included a PDF file with the whole ordered list. (It's a ZIP file split into three pieces of less than 2 MB each. Suffixes from ".001" to ".003" may need to be appended.)

@mikelove Would it be possible for you, as previously announced, to set the file size limit back to 10 MB or even higher? :) Many thanks!

Enjoy,

Shun
Thank you very much. I discovered after posting that pleco allowed sorting of flashcards but it only had an easy and length option (not sure how those are calculated) but not be stroke order. I'm new to pleco so trying to figure out settings and such. My goal is to memorize a large oft used character set (Taiwan National Standard maybe or maybe a shorter 3000 list). I thought that learning the characters by number of strokes would be the easiest way to go. I think it would be real nice if the sort feature could do that and also could sort by radicals and even other components. It does have the feature of sorting by pronunciation. I think approaching memoriztion using all of those views would be useful. I will give your character set a try. Thanks again.

Shun

状元
That sounds good, you're very welcome! After importing the list, you could split the category sequentially into subcategories of 40 cards or so, allowing you to study the cards in order. (Otherwise, it might just pick cards randomly from the whole list.)

If you need grammar knowledge or actual easy texts, I would recommend the New Practical Chinese Reader (only the first edition, not the second, because that one is badly stripped down).

Edit: Sorting by radicals and then by stroke count is possible with the above CSV file, too, because the radicals are included with every Hanzi. Tell me if I can help with that.

You're welcome,

Shun

Last edited: