First impressions of 3.99.17

ctop

秀才
First of all, congratulations to finally get this rolling! Overall, it feels very polished and the attention to details is very much observable.
Here are some points that I noticed:
- Reader: Finally being able to use the keyboard to move around is the single greatest improvement for me. It feels so great and makes reading so much more comfortable.
- Ruby: This is a great idea, I like it a lot. Does it only work for simplified characters? I do prefer traditional characters, so this would be a bit disappointing, especially because I do not see why such a restriction is necessary.
- Characters: On that front, it would be great, if I could somewhere register my preference for traditional characters, so that the priority in the top line of the definitions and the search result list would be reversed. I looked in the settings for something related, but could not find it.
- History: It seems I can't yet see the history of my other devices, like I could in the old version. This might of course be an artifact of the beta testing environment
- French: It is great to be able to search in French, especially since I have the Ricci. However, on the definition screen is no popup -- I seem to remember this was promised when the Ricci came out. It would be a great feature, for non-french speakers.

But as I said, overall it is a Great Leap Forward!

All the best,
Christian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

If you set 'Chinese character set' in Settings / Chinese Language to "traditional", that should get that to appear first and with ruby on top of it.

Other device history: we were unaware that feature was still functional; has it actually worked for you recently? We don't support it in 4.0 - we plan to support it again with our future Pleco sync service - but if you've got history from a bunch of devices you'd like to aggregate you can send us history backups from all of those devices and we can combine them for you in a JSON file to import in the new app.

French popups: if you highlight a word in a French definition you can tap the share button and 'look up (system)' to bring up the iOS system dictionary interface, which includes the Oxford-Hachette French-English dictionary as one of its dictionary options. The reader bubble is capable of supporting any language now, but we haven't gotten around to actually encoding a free French-to-English dictionary for Pleco yet - it remains on our to-do list, though, and once we do have it'll only take a few hundred bytes worth of JSON configuration files on our end to build a reader bubble around it.

ctop

秀才
Thanks!

If you set 'Chinese character set' in Settings / Chinese Language to "traditional", that should get that to appear first and with ruby on top of it.
Ok, that is the thing I missed, thank you:) I guess it is too long since I first set up a Pleco installation.
Other device history: we were unaware that feature was still functional; has it actually worked for you recently? We don't support it in 4.0 - we plan to support it again with our future Pleco sync service - but if you've got history from a bunch of devices you'd like to aggregate you can send us history backups from all of those devices and we can combine them for you in a JSON file to import in the new app.
It still shows up on my other devices, which might be due to the fact that they have not been updated recently. I think it is a nice feature if it works automatically, so that one can smoothly change to another device, but let you have combining them manually by you seems a bit over the top. Looking forward to the sync service:)
French popups: if you highlight a word in a French definition you can tap the share button and 'look up (system)' to bring up the iOS system dictionary interface, which includes the Oxford-Hachette French-English dictionary as one of its dictionary options. The reader bubble is capable of supporting any language now, but we haven't gotten around to actually encoding a free French-to-English dictionary for Pleco yet - it remains on our to-do list, though, and once we do have it'll only take a few hundred bytes worth of JSON configuration files on our end to build a reader bubble around it.
If it is that straightforward, would it not be possible to make this a user-configurable feature? I'd certainly love to do that myself, rather than relying on the system lookup. It is of course a nice feature that we can check the system dictionaries, but it is a bit of a clumsy workaround and the inline bubble is so much more convenient, IMHO.
All the best,
Christian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If it is that straightforward, would it not be possible to make this a user-configurable feature? I'd certainly love to do that myself, rather than relying on the system lookup. It is of course a nice feature that we can check the system dictionaries, but it is a bit of a clumsy workaround and the inline bubble is so much more convenient, IMHO.

It is user configurable now, in theory - you could create your own French-to-English user dictionary, create the associated search types for it, create a new Reader Screen to use it, and customize the 'entry body' presentation for Chinese Word card types with a formatter to override the reader screen employed for Ricci entries. But that's a lot of complicated steps and not something very many people are likely to do on their own, and I don't think streamlining the configuration file changes does much good if users still have to supply their own French-to-English dictionary, so it feels like the best approach is to wait until we have that ready.