Family License

macman

Have you considered offering a "Family Pack" license (or a multiple-user license) option for your software?

Many families now have more than one PDA device and it would be wonderful if your excellent software could run on these multiple PDA's without having to pay the entire cost of for each new user license. I believe that the way Apple Computer offers "Family Pack" licenses for their software is very effective both for the software company and the end user. Their pricing structure seems to encourage additional sales by providing a reasonable priced option without cannibalizing their single-user licenses sales. I understand that there are licensing issues with the individual producers of the various dictionaries that are used by PlecoDict that will need to be worked out, but perhaps a fair arrangement emulating Apple's "Family Pack" licenses would be a reasonable pricing target. Apple's "Family Pack" is set at a 25% premium over the price of a single users license for iLife '08 and iWorks '08, and at a 54% premium for MacOS X 10.5 Leopard.

Thank you for your considering this suggestion.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not possible, unfortunately, given the way our licenses are structured - we spend a tremendous amount of money on per-copy royalties, so even at a 100% premium a "family pack" would make us less profit than selling a single copy at the normal price. We are planning to make our quantity discounts apply automatically the next time we revamp our online store, though, which means a 10% discount for purchases of 2-4 copies, but I don't think we can go much beyond that, at least not until we get to a point where we either own our own dictionaries/handwriting recognizer/etc or can afford to license them for an annual fee instead of a per-copy royalty.