Exporting purchased dictionaries

jannesan

Hi,

I would like to use the ABC Chinese-English dictionary to make myself a Kindle dictionary,
but it seems like there is no way to export purchased dictionaries.
How can I obtain text versions of my purchased dictionaries?

cheers,
Jannes

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm afraid that's impossible - much as with other paid e-books, the dictionaries we sell are copy-protected and we're not allowed to release them to users in plaintext format.

Last edited:

jannesan

I'm afraid that's impossible - much as with other paid e-books, the dictionaries we sell are copy-protected and we're not allowed to release them to users in plaintext format.

Okay, I understand. But could you provide them in some DRM format for me to use somewhere outside the App?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Unfortunately that's not possible at the moment. (we're not aware of any technical solution for that, and even if one existed, some of the licenses we've signed with publishers don't necessarily contemplate us distributing dictionaries that way and would have to be renegotiated to allow for it)

jannesan

Unfortunately that's not possible at the moment. (we're not aware of any technical solution for that, and even if one existed, some of the licenses we've signed with publishers don't necessarily contemplate us distributing dictionaries that way and would have to be renegotiated to allow for it)

Okay, thanks for the quick reply

Weyland

探花
Could you give me a hint what kind of files the .pdb dictionary files are?

I don't want to sound demeaning, but wouldn't it make more sense to just keep your phone next to your Kindle and search up the words through that manner? Like that you can save the cards and learn them through flashcards later on. The dictionaries aren't great and all, but it certainly isn't the whole Pleco package.

jannesan

No, it wouldn't make more sense for me. I am not using the flashcard system of Pleco.
But even if I did, it is still less convenient to look up words on an extra device (especially for unknown characters).
Also one of the reasons I want to use an Ereader for reading is that I want to do my eyes a favor and reduce my screen time.

@mikelove
Do you have an idea where I could obtain a good quality dictionary like the ABC in a format that I can use to make a dictionary?
It seems like the ABC is not available in electronic format except through some application.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Do you have an idea where I could obtain a good quality dictionary like the ABC in a format that I can use to make a dictionary?

CC-CEDICT and Wiktionary are your best options there, honestly; I'm not aware of any reference publisher willing to offer dictionary databases to end users without DRM.

richwarm

On my Kindle, various dictionaries were added automatically after I loaded documents written in various languages like Chinese and Japanese. Presumably, they were added as a free service by Amazon. My Kindle started with the Oxford Dictionary of English and gradually accrued others like Xiandai Hanyu Cidian, Xiandai Han-Ying Cidian, FLTRP Modern English-Chinese Dictionary and Shogakukan Progressive Japanese-English Dictionary. I also added CC-CEDICT manually after downloading a Kindle version of it (the file dictionary.mobi) from the following webpage: