English word translations

Gerard

If I look for an English word list of possible translations, e.g. "think", I find a list of words where some of them have a litte to do with "think" (判断,预料)and others which are more common do not appear there (e.g.以为)
What is the criterion Pleco uses to give me that list?
It could be that since my Chinese level is still very low, I could be wrong, but I think that at least "以为“ should be there.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you looking at the LDC wordlist? It's far from perfect - there's a reason it's an optional download - so I'd suggest you try deleting it and go by the results that you get without an E-C dictionary (hollow E icon) instead; they're not perfect either, but they should at least give you somewhat more common words on top and make it easier for you to check whether the meaning matches what you want. (the top three multi-character results you should get with that mode are the considerably-more-relevant 觉得, 认为, and 以为)

For better E-C results than that you'd want one of our paid English-Chinese dictionary add-ons like the NWP, the 21st Century, the ABC E-C or the Oxford.