Efficient system/profile of flashcard for studying

rustamk

Good day to everybody!

I obtained Pleco about 7 months ago, but till now couldn't create an optimal system for learning and reviewing simplified Chinese characters :oops: .

I learn new words and often repeat through scritter.com (web version). Pleco is used only as dictionary.
Now internet connection became very and very slow in the region where I live/work. It's rather difficult to use scritter.com. Learning new words by textbook is so boring! So there are 2 options:

1. Use Pleco flashcard system.
2. Buy Ipad or ipod and install IOS version of scritter (extra expense).

So far as I know scritter.com has the following advantages in comparison to Pleco.

1. Use of mnemonics.
2. Testing of handwriting, tones, characters and definitions by automatic selection. No need to tune the settings.
3. Sample sentences which can be listened to.
4. Notification for added new words. Then they are separated.
5. Can be accessed for anywhere!

If Pleco flashcard system can offer such options?

Therefore I'd be very grateful if you share with you profiles (tuned settings of flashcards) based on your experience to learn new words and review them.

Thanks in advance.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
rustamk said:
I obtained Pleco about 7 months ago, but till now couldn't create an optimal system for learning and reviewing simplified Chinese characters .

To be honest, our system has always been more word- than character-oriented, mainly because of its close connection to dictionaries - we've never really aspired to teach individual characters.

rustamk said:
I learn new words and often repeat through scritter.com (web version). Pleco is used only as dictionary.

The existence of Skritter is a big part of why we haven't focused on that, especially recently - while they may not offer an Android app, 3/4 of our business is on iOS and we can't justify developing Skritter-like single character capabilities (which involve a lot of content/design and not just programming) just for the sake of Android users.

rustamk said:
So far as I know scritter.com has the following advantages in comparison to Pleco.

1. Use of mnemonics.

Yes - this one is being worked on ("custom field" support) but we don't currently support them unless you feel like manually editing each of your flashcards to add your chosen mnemonic. (you can do this slightly more efficiently if you export them to a file, add them on your computer and then reimport them with duplicate cards set to "update", but it's still a hassle)

rustamk said:
2. Testing of handwriting, tones, characters and definitions by automatic selection. No need to tune the settings.

We certainly do support testing these things, but not automatically, no. Another area to work on.

rustamk said:
3. Sample sentences which can be listened to.

That one actually is supported if you've got our TTS add-on; tap on the example, tap-hold on |-> to select the whole thing, then tap the audio button.

rustamk said:
4. Notification for added new words. Then they are separated.

This one should actually be fixed relatively soon, though it's possible to approximate this now with a combination of profiles.

rustamk said:
5. Can be accessed for anywhere!

No plans for that at the moment. (good list, though - all things we ought to have / ought to make easier to do)

FWIW, we're working on a vocabulary list sharing feature with Skritter that would allow you to download your Skritter flashcards into Pleco and review them there (and also to go the other direction and upload vocabulary to Skritter), though we have no immediate plans to get our scoring systems working together too.

rustamk

Thanks for the reply.

Can you recommend and share a profile to learn new words?
I tried to configure myself, but messed up all.