drawing recognition failure

Using 1.0.3 When I draw characters, many of them are not recognized. Consistently, several radicals seem to not be recognized. I have Palm 750 with Palm OS. 消 is not recognized, for example. The radical is not recognized. There are other radicals that do not work as well, but have lost track of which works and which doesn't.

Is this a problem with the Palm itself or the software?

thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I just checked that character on a Palm Treo here and it seems to be recognized OK - what do you mean that "the radical is not recognized"? Are you just trying to enter the three-stroke water radical by itself? Those characters aren't included in our dictionaries, so the handwriting recognizer doesn't support them - if you enter the full character 消, though, it should come right up.

ipsi

状元
Also, the third stroke in the water radical should be drawn bottom-to-top, *not* top-to-bottom. The recogniser will work much better if you try doing it that way.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
For anyone else following this, the problem turned out to be that Input Field Compatibility was enabled and the text encoding was set to an encoding that didn't support 消 - if you're using Input Field Compatibility on Palm and find that characters are going missing like this, try switching to UTF-8 encoding (if your system supports it) and that should make more characters accessible.