Document Reader

choisum

秀才
I've been using the Document Reader quite a lot recently, here are some ideas which would make it easier to use:

(1) QuickSave - Time saver, when the text has been pasted in, the ability to save it quickly without having to navigate through the folder menu and type in a file name. Maybe use the first line of Chinese text as the "filename".

(2) Paste - Time saver, when sharing from other applications, sometimes the Document Reader doesn't show up as an option, so you have to jump through some hoops by sharing with GMail, copy paste, find the Pleco app, open the app, choose the Document Reader. It would be nice if Pleco Dict showed up in the share list.

(3) Paste - Time saver, again when sharing from some other applications, the Document Reader only shows a url, whereas GMail pulls in both the url and text. Again, it clumsy to share with GMail first and then go through the process of opening Pleco Dict.

(4) Is it possible to provide multiple breakdowns when selecting text. e.g. it's not uncommon to have a sequence of characters, say ABC where AB form a dictionary word AND BC form a dictionary word. With the current selection logic, it's impossible to break it into either A & BC or AB & C.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
choisum said:
(1) QuickSave - Time saver, when the text has been pasted in, the ability to save it quickly without having to navigate through the folder menu and type in a file name. Maybe use the first line of Chinese text as the "filename".

Great idea, thanks! Just added for Beta 5.

choisum said:
(2) Paste - Time saver, when sharing from other applications, sometimes the Document Reader doesn't show up as an option, so you have to jump through some hoops by sharing with GMail, copy paste, find the Pleco app, open the app, choose the Document Reader. It would be nice if Pleco Dict showed up in the share list.

It's actually already configured to do that - which application are you seeing this in, and what type of data are you sharing?

choisum said:
(3) Paste - Time saver, again when sharing from some other applications, the Document Reader only shows a url, whereas GMail pulls in both the url and text. Again, it clumsy to share with GMail first and then go through the process of opening Pleco Dict.

Again, this should already be implemented - which applications are you sharing this from? From the built-in Android web browser at least it should work fine.

choisum said:
(4) Is it possible to provide multiple breakdowns when selecting text. e.g. it's not uncommon to have a sequence of characters, say ABC where AB form a dictionary word AND BC form a dictionary word. With the current selection logic, it's impossible to break it into either A & BC or AB & C.

Already supported; tap on the |<- arrow (bottom left corner of the screen) to shrink the highlight, then tap on the -> arrow to advance to the next word starting immediately after it. If you play around with the |-> and |<- buttons you should find that you can easily get to any possible word highlight that way.

choisum

秀才
I can't remember from which app it's not showing, I'll post again when I find it.

For the url, the apps are MyMetroHK and My730HK for reading HK newspapers.

A couple of extra things I notice recently, which actually are less necessary if the quicksave is available :)

(1) Could the document reader remember the last directory in the open/save dialog.It always opens up in a default place.
(2) Could the save automatically append .txt as needed, I managed to save a few files and then have the document reader refuse to open them again!

Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
choisum said:
I can't remember from which app it's not showing, I'll post again when I find it.

OK, thanks!

choisum said:
For the url, the apps are MyMetroHK and My730HK for reading HK newspapers.

Thanks, we'll investigate those.

choisum said:
(1) Could the document reader remember the last directory in the open/save dialog.It always opens up in a default place.

Yes, we've already had a bunch of other requests for that actually.

choisum said:
(2) Could the save automatically append .txt as needed, I managed to save a few files and then have the document reader refuse to open them again!

It should already do this - are you using the latest version?