Dictionary sentences wrong?

kun4

举人
Hi. I'm looking up sentences with 小姐, and one of the sentences - about why a ship floats - doesn't contain 小姐. Weird.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-26-21-32-27.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-26-21-32-27.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 435

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Looks like this particular one is a database glitch in Tuttle, we'll fix it shortly.

giokve

进士
Tuttle and to a lesser extent 21C have lots of these glitches, but it doesn't bother me at all.
What I would love to be able to do is searching for expressions that are not dictionary entries, and google style, like “我*很難”; as of now you can use SENTS only for dictioney entries. But it sounds tough to implement.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you sure you're using the latest version of 21C? We thought we'd already fixed those glitches in that.

You can search for other expressions already, just put a # at the start of your search term. Doesn't support wildcards yet but it will certainly let you look for things that aren't dictionary entries. (the only reason we don't do that automatically is because the break-down-a-term-into-its-constituent-words feature is so wildly popular)

giokve

进士
I know, but it would be nice to have the results in a single tab like SENTS, instead of having a list of possible long entries where you have to go through each one to look for the expression you want. My perverse idea is a tab with a list of example sentences containing what you are looking for, even if it's not a dictionary entry. In short, SENTS even for what is not a dictionary entry. Anyway, just my random disconnected thoughts o_Oo_Oo_O

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@giokve - We found + fixed the problem in Tuttle's database (update soon), but aren't seeing it in 21C - could you send me a specific example of a problem in 21C?

giokve

进士
I will if I do. I actually don't use 21C that much because the English sentences are riddled with mistakes, and my English is already bad enough.

giokve

进士
English. My Chinese is not yet to the level necessary to decide if a sentence sounds good or not, and it will probably never be. I haven't used 21c it for some time and/or I may have stumbled upon a few unlucky sentences and jumped to conclusions too fast. I've been trying to find some for a few minutes to no avail. I don't know why I got that impression when I first purchased it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The English sentences do have some glitches, yeah - not a major source of concern for our users, but it's one of the reasons why we aren't pushing 21C more aggressively to Chinese speakers learning English. (for that group we'd really want an English learner's dictionary to which Chinese translations had been added)