Dictionary Order Presets

Shun

状元
Hi, since the dictionaries used for reading Modern Chinese (modern dictionaries) and Old Chinese texts (Gu Hanyu Da Cidian, Hanyu Da Cidian, Grand Ricci, Histoire Ricci) are different, I would welcome the addition of dictionary order presets to be configured under Settings > Manage Dictionaries, allowing one to use two or more completely different orderings of dictionaries.

I tried using the "Sticky dict selection" option, but due to the fact that one usually needs more than one dictionary for a particular kind of text, being able to put all of them on top in one tap would come in handy.

Let's consider the scenario where we have 12 dictionaries, of which we usually want Dicts 1-5, but now for reading a particular text, we need Dictionaries 6-9. Having arrived at Dictionary 9 using Sticky dict selection, we would have to cycle through Dictionaries 10-12 and 1-5 to get back to Dictionary 6. If we had a dictionary order with dicts 6-9 first, with Sticky dict selection turned off, we would always get to Dictionary 6 first and be able to tap through to dictionary 9.

Do you also think that would be a useful feature?

----------------------

Edit: I might achieve the same thing with a bit more work by manually moving each of the Old Chinese dictionaries to the top. The order may get mixed up a little, but I guess it would work OK, as well.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This makes sense, yes - I think we'd do it through the dictionary group system, since that's an easy / already-in-place way to create a subset of your dictionaries for searching in a particular order.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You'd still cycle through single dictionaries, I think, but you'd have a document-specific setting to choose just one group and do all your searches for dictionaries in that group / in that group's order.