Customizable Audio

nrich

举人
A great feature would be to be able to add audio that one has recorded themselves. For example, I would like to record some example sentences using a certain word and be able to play those samples when I am reviewing that word using the flashcard feature.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - certainly something we've considered, though I think it would work best if combined with the much-improved system for example sentences we're aiming to roll out in 2.1 or 3.0 (something that lets you search through / edit / create them just like dictionary entries) - right now the audio would have to be locked to a particular flashcard and that could be somewhat difficult for users to manage.

radioman

状元
I think this is related.

For managing flashcards, I like to do it on the PC and then export to the handheld. Specifically, I use the desktop flashcard program to create the initial arrangement and configuration my files on the desktop, including hanzi/pinyin/definition. From there it is very easy to export to Pleco format - Pleco is where all the studying is done. I don't like sitting in front of the laptop studying.

I also record sentences and with the desktop program, attaching the audio to the pinyin card side. I have my friend record the audio for 150 individual sentences/cards. They can complete the task in less than a half hour.

Unfortunately, there is no way to copy audio to the handheld computer so I autoplay the flashcards, 1 card every 6 seconds and capture the audio for listening on my mp3 player.

I personally would love to find a way to get the recorded sentences imported and active on Pleco, or to record directly on Pleco. I think there are other flashcard programs out there that can record audio, but they are not easy to use, and are certainly not fused with Pleco's essential functions.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That would be nice, yes - an excellent argument for a desktop version, actually, providing a way to create / manage that sort of complicated card-attached data. (audio, sounds, maybe even entire documents in the case of something like, say, a Chengyu, or a literary reference)