Cursive/handwritten font?

urakanje

hmm....nice font, where can i have a chinese cursive font???

i want to make a tattoo on my right arm, writting my chinese name, grass style would be nice to

Hey Mike,

As if you are not busy enough with everything you have going on, I would just like to put it on record that I AM EXTREMELY INTERESTED IN A CURSIVE TRAINING TOOL for the Chinese script. I have a hard time reading a lot of the notes that most of my colleagues write, and it is not because I don't know most of the characters but rather that I cannot recognize a lot of the cursive script. Ha ha ha!

Cheers man!

Darrol

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, not sure where we'd get the data for that but it's a lovely idea if we can pull it off. I suppose this is actually within the range of what we might be able to generate on our own at this point, not significantly more complicated to put together than 68,000 audio recordings :)

koreth

榜眼
I think that was in response to your message earlier on the page about maybe being able to do it using the stroke order database. But I guess maybe it ended up not being feasible after all.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh, that - almost forgot about that license, actually; we ended up using a different data source for stroke order. But I think the license is still valid, so we should probably take a look at whether the data might be usable for this.

Re:

mikelove said:
goulniky, thanks for posting these. One fun thing to do with them is put them into PlecoDict's handwriting recognizer - I just did some quick testing and it looks like it can recognize almost half of them. (mostly the simpler ones) Pretty impressive, considering that Chinese script has likely evolved a lot in the past hundred years.

We've recently licensed a very large database of Chinese handwriting data (mainly to use with a stroke order testing feature) and it's possible we might be able to mine that data to use for a cursive training feature - the data hasn't arrived yet, but once it does we should know for certain whether or not this is feasible.

Yeah, I was speaking in regards to your above post. I should have quoted it in my message.

Lincoln

Apparently goulniky (Yves Goulnik) scanned the complete 1986 edition of Dictionnaire des Formes Cursives des Caracteres Chinois and published it on-line at http://goulnik.com/cursives/.

For this, my heartfelt thanks, Yves! And thanks also to the Institut Ricci.

Lincoln

Cursive script training tool from Pleco?

mikelove Wed Dec 21 said:
We've recently licensed a very large database of Chinese handwriting data (mainly to use with a stroke order testing feature) and it's possible we might be able to mine that data to use for a cursive training feature - the data hasn't arrived yet, but once it does we should know for certain whether or not this is feasible.

Mike, I'd like to add my vote for a cursive training tool to that of hairyleprechaun. I googled Chinese cursive script and turned up a number of posts from Westerners frustrated by the dirth of books and lack of any on-line tools to learn to read and **write** either running script or grass script. Perhaps some of you posters who already read Chinese fluently might suggest some URLs to Webpages in Chinese that teach reading and writing cursive scripts.

At http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/1511-cursive-scripts/page__view__findpost__p__13479 a Beijing resident wrote about how Chinese kids learn a series of scripts eventually culminating in their own idiosyncratic note-taking style. Perhaps even Chinese students would be interested in a tool to teach them to write running and then grass script.

By the way, does anyone have a copy of this book?: Chang Yi-nan (1965). Read about China in Cursive Script. Taichung, Taiwan: FSI Chinese Language and Area Training Center. I've searched all the usual Western booksellers' Websites, but no one seems to have it, although Amazon has an ASIN for it: B000P9IKJE.

Lincoln, I am glad to see this post getting bumped after nearly two years with nary a comment. Unfortunately, I have no additional resources for you in regards to the quest to learn and implement the use of cursive Chinese handwriting. In the mean time, I have been writing more and more characters in my own version of Chinese cursive which unfortunately, many of my Chinese friends cannot recognize. :(

Well, Mike, has there been any progress at all on this front? As you must know, using a capactivie touch screen highly leads to the desire to write freestyle purley for the efficiency itself when writing many chacters in a row. In addition to those users who are in a classroom environment with native Chinese students where cursive is used there must also be many users of Pleco who are living in a Chinese environment where all hand notes, many presentations, medical prescriptions, doctor`s notes etc, are often written out by hand in cursive Chinese.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
hairyleprechaun said:
Well, Mike, has there been any progress at all on this front? As you must know, using a capactivie touch screen highly leads to the desire to write freestyle purley for the efficiency itself when writing many chacters in a row. In addition to those users who are in a classroom environment with native Chinese students where cursive is used there must also be many users of Pleco who are living in a Chinese environment where all hand notes, many presentations, medical prescriptions, doctor`s notes etc, are often written out by hand in cursive Chinese.

There's still the question of where we'd get the data - I don't know of any good source for animated cursive stroke order, we could license a cursive font file but they're very expensive, don't really help that much (just static images with a mix of ambiguous and unambiguous blobs), and I'm inclined to think we'd be better off putting that money into another dictionary. (tons of those on the horizon - this summer's going to be the largest single expansion to our dictionary line ever, though one little addition may actually be out in March)