cost of new dictionaries

I just received the email listing the planned prices for the new dictionaries coming with PlecoDict. Here is the list for any of you who may not have seen that mailing:
ABC Comprehensive C-E + NWP E-C Bundle: $119.95
ABC Comprehensive C-E: $99.95
ABC Concise C-E & NWP E-C Bundle: $79.95
Oxford Concise C-E&E-C: $59.95
ABC Concise C-E: $59.95
NWP E-C: $49.95
Software only: $29.95
Stripped-down Oxford C-E&E-C: $24.95
Even with a 20 USD discount for those of us who have already purchased the Oxford dictionary, these prices to me seem terribly expensive. To get both C-E and E-C dictionaries woudl cost me 100 USD. SOme of us may not have paid much more than that for our PDA in the first place! When you add on the cost of a memory card which is essential, the product gets very expensive indeed.
Furthermore, many of us live in China where we can purchase very good printed dictionaries for 10 or 20 dollars.
Obviously, we want a more comprehensive dictionary than the pocket Oxford which often does not have the words we need, and we are of course prepared to pay for a better dictionary, but the prices suggested here seem, to me at least, to be way too high.

What do the rest of you think?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You're not the only one feeling this way... just sent out to the same customers who received the original e-mail:

New price list:

(the $20 discount for existing customers still applies)

ABC Comprehensive C-E + NWP E-C Bundle: $99.95
ABC Comprehensive C-E: $79.95
ABC Concise C-E & NWP E-C Bundle: $69.95
Oxford Concise C-E&E-C: $59.95
ABC Concise C-E: $49.95
NWP E-C: $49.95
Software only: $29.95
Stripped-down Oxford C-E&E-C: $24.95

I hope this is more palatable to everyone.

Lincoln

Buy Oxford Concise now or later?

As I have just bought a Tungsten T3, my disposable income has gone negative.

I am trying to decide whether I should buy the current version of the Oxford Concise and upgrade to the new version later, wait for the new version, or buy a CJK OS plus some Chinese/English/Chinese dictionary or Chinese flashcard program.

Looking at these options:
Current version plus upgrade = $49.95 + 59.95 - 20.00 = 79.90.
Wait for new version = $59.95.
CJK OS plus other software = too complex to analyze in a short msg.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting the first option. Can it be that the upgrade cost is not $59.95, but is rather $24.95 for what is called the "stripped-down Oxford C-E&E-C"? That is, does "stripped-down" mean "just the dictionary, without the software, which you already own"?

The other factor that bears on my decision is when you currently believe the new versions will be available for sale. As I have worked in software development and software development management, I am aware of how difficult this is to predict. As the old rule goes, "Consider your worst-case release date, then triple the time, then triple it again." Nonetheless, would you hazard a guess about the sale date?

Wishing you all success , :)

Lincoln

Oops :eek:, I should never add numbers in my head.

The correct cost for the first option should be:
Current version plus upgrade = $49.95 + 59.95 - 20.00 = 89.90.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
(happened to be checking the forums right now)

Actually it's neither; we're planning to make Oxford E&C for PlecoDict a free upgrade for people who already own previous versions of the Oxford. So you can either pay $49.95 for the Oxford now or $59.95 for it later. Which hopefully makes your choice a little easier :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh, and as for the sale date, my last prediction (as listed elsewhere) was sometime in August so worst-case maybe September or (extreme long-shot since we'd probably drop some features before letting it slip that late) October.

Lincoln

Okay, Mike,

You have convinced me. I will install the demo/trial version of Oxford Concise. If it works well, then I will order it within the week.

Give my regards to Broadway :wink: ,