Corrupt history

mccue

Hi guys, hoping you can help me.

I've been a long standing user of Pleco, and I have never had this happen to me before. I had a long list of words in the 'history' section of Pleco, and one day I opened Pleco and it disappeared! All the preferences as well were reset to their default settings. I had been collecting these words for the past two years and so I am very eager to recover them. What I want to know is, is there a way of locating the history file in the Pleco directory and recovering it?

Thanks for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Unless you backed it up manually I'm afraid there's no way to recover it - whatever files were there would have been overwritten by the new files.

However, normally this only happens after your app is uninstalled and reinstalled, or reinstalled with a different certificate. Are there two different Pleco icons on your home screen by any chance? Where did you download our app from originally, Google Play or our website or some other source? Do you have any third party app stores (other than Google Play, i.e.) installed on your phone?

mccue

I first downloaded the app about 4 years ago so I don't remember, I think it was the google play store. Since then, pleco has been a permanent fixture on my phone. Whenever the device id changes, pleco re-registers it, but never affecting the history. Is there a way to backup these configuration and history files from within Pleco?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Very odd, then - can you think of any changes you made on your phone recently that might have precipitated this? Updating the firmware or updating Pleco or installing a new backup / storage / antivirus app, anything like that?

And yes, there are options to back up your settings and history at the bottom of the Settings screen. We'd like to support cloud backups too but we'll have to do that through our own system since none of Google's work reliably in China.