Confusing Flashcard UI

Okay, I looked around, read the manual, and I still can't quite figure this part out:
(I suppose I could just play around, but I'm afraid to mess up my lists now that I've added so much to them)

Under the Settings->Flashcards section:
Card Creation->Duplicate Cards:

I see four options: Skip, Keep Category, Allow, Prompt

Skip - If the exact same flashcard already exists, skip creation. (If it exists in the same category? Or if it exists in the whole system?)
Keep Category - I'm not sure... It looks like maybe it'll keep one copy of the flashcard per category... But the user manual makes it read like maybe it'll remove it from whatever category it's in and place it in the new category.
Allow - Creates new flashcards regardless
Prompt - Let you choose one of the above.

So, I found out (the hard way) that Allow lets you create duplicate flashcards even in the same category. (Sometimes I forget whether I hit the '+' on a dictionary entry and end up hitting it multiple times)
What I'd *like* to be able to do is maintain multiple categories, and each category only has one copy of the flashcard (but the system could have duplicate flashcards across multiple categories). Is this what "Keep Category" is intended to do?

And, now that I have categories with lots of duplicate cards in them, is there an easy way to clean things up? (Like, via a batch command or something?)

I suppose I could backup my flashcard DB and try things out... but I'm a little hesitant of messing with things. Does the backup also save the flashcard scores that I've already gone through?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
WangYuHong said:
What I'd *like* to be able to do is maintain multiple categories, and each category only has one copy of the flashcard (but the system could have duplicate flashcards across multiple categories). Is this what "Keep Category" is intended to do?

Yes - sorry for the confusion on that, we definitely need to improve the description of Keep Category in the manual.

WangYuHong said:
And, now that I have categories with lots of duplicate cards in them, is there an easy way to clean things up? (Like, via a batch command or something?)

Search Cards / Search for / duplicate will give you a list of all of the cards that are duplicated, though there's unfortunately no way to automatically merge their categories.

WangYuHong said:
I suppose I could backup my flashcard DB and try things out... but I'm a little hesitant of messing with things. Does the backup also save the flashcard scores that I've already gone through?

Yes, the Backup Database command backs up every bit of data that the flashcard system keeps, including scores.