Colloquial Terms for Chinese Character Components

Shun

状元
Hi catusf,

Just two minor pieces of feedback: Many entries in the flashcard input file above have a newline inside their definition that should only be found at the end. For newlines inside a definition, for Pleco 3.2 compatibility the Unicode character "EAB1" needs to be used. You could copy it out from this post:

Example of an entry with a split definition:

Code:
大    dà      (big)
        Name of 大 radical (big)

And a little pinyin issue with the following entry:

三撇儿 sānpiēér Name of 彡 radical (bristle)

I think this one should be "sānpiěr". (See this Wikipedia link on erhua.) As the safest format for Pleco's importer, I would even use tone numbers (just for the pinyin field). So we would have "san1pie3r5" in this case.

Otherwise, I like your very well thought out and cleanly compiled set of flashcards.

Cheers, Shun

catusf

秀才
Hi Shun
Thank you so much for your feedback. I've fixed those two issues.

I also added some useful information for fellow learners. Thanks ldolse so much for your research. I hope you don't mind as I copied your information into this desk.

Weixin Image_20231230001716.jpg

Weixin Image_20231230001711.jpg

Weixin Image_20231230001706.jpg

Please have a look.

Attachments

• radical_name_pleco.txt
    193.1 KB · Views: 61

Shun

状元
Hi catusf,

thanks! It looks very good.

I just think it would be nice if you could include the colloquial three-character terms for character components (not necessarily radicals) as separate flashcards again. At the moment, they're hidden inside some of the radicals’ definitions. For most, I believe it would be easier to study them if they're in separate flashcards.

Cheers, Shun

Shun

状元
Yes, I'd like to be shown the 三点水 as a character component and have to enter "三点水" as the solution. Right now, the 三点水 doesn't exist as a headword anymore.

Do you agree?

catusf

秀才
Hi Shun
I got your point now. Please see the updated version attached.

Sorry, I've been a bit busy so not very focused. Hope I got it right now.

Any comments or feedback, do let me know.

Weixin Image_20231230091714.jpg

Attachments

• radical_name_pleco.txt
    211.4 KB · Views: 66

Shun

状元
Hi catusf,

Thanks, they're back! I saw that you couldn't find a Unicode representation for all of the character components, but that's probably the best one can do without using images of them. In Pleco 4.0 one could cut out all the 67 character components and paste them into their respective definitions. Something for a later time. :)

Cheers & a happy new year,

Shun