Chinese usgage dictionary from yale

skripp

举人
The Chinese Usage Dictionary from Yale (http://comet.cls.yale.edu/chineseusagedictionary/) is a really great reference. Are there any plans to license this for Pleco? It's not overly comprehensive but for the few things it does cover, I think it covers them quite well.

Right now the website i horribly broken. All the links point to www.cls... so you have to actually change all the links to comet.cls... But it is usable if you save the nav_frame.asp and do search replace on all the links.

Last question: Are there any plans for a "pleco bookstore" or similar? Finding reading material for different levels is always a hassle. There's obviously TONS to be found scattered around the interweb, but it would be very convenient to just be able to browse some bookstore from within Pleco. Hopefully divided into categories (or tags etc etc) to find reading level and what not. Even if I'd personally like see some more intermediate content, Chinese breeze are now available in kindle format, so that publisher is obviously not dead yet *hint hint*. ;-)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
skripp said:
The Chinese Usage Dictionary from Yale (http://comet.cls.yale.edu/chineseusagedictionary/) is a really great reference. Are there any plans to license this for Pleco? It's not overly comprehensive but for the few things it does cover, I think it covers them quite well.

Thanks, but we've actually already licensed a monolingual synonym-explaining dictionary that covers a lot more words than this; we're trying to license a bilingual one too but it's proving tricky due to some data format issues on the publisher end.

skripp said:
Last question: Are there any plans for a "pleco bookstore" or similar? Finding reading material for different levels is always a hassle. There's obviously TONS to be found scattered around the interweb, but it would be very convenient to just be able to browse some bookstore from within Pleco. Hopefully divided into categories (or tags etc etc) to find reading level and what not. Even if I'd personally like see some more intermediate content, Chinese breeze are now available in kindle format, so that publisher is obviously not dead yet *hint hint*.

Oh they're certainly not dead, we license our little business dictionary from C&T actually. As far as a "Pleco bookstore" in general, though, it's something we've thought about but won't be able to take up seriously until the new dictionaries launch - right now all the capital we can afford to put into royalty advances is tied up in those, but once they start returning some actual money we can look at putting some money into this - tons of stuff out there to license plus it's well within our means to hire people to develop new material for us.

copumpkin

Thanks, but we've actually already licensed a monolingual synonym-explaining dictionary that covers a lot more words than this; we're trying to license a bilingual one too but it's proving tricky due to some data format issues on the publisher end.

Any developments on that front?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You mean a bilingual synonym dictionary? No, that particular lead didn't work out so now we're looking to some other options.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's very slowly coming together, sidetracked by a few other projects but we've got a couple of initial titles lined up now we think.